Scotch Dyke

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Scotch Dyke (1861-1949)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).

Description

This was a two platform station with a minor level crossing at the north end and a goods yard on the west side, approached from the south. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a small shelter on the southbound.

There were alternative spellings such as 'Scotsdike' (used on 1864 OS map) and 'Scotchdyke' (in some timetables).

The station was briefly the northern terminus of the line, before its completion in 1862.

The goods yard consisted of a looped siding leading to a goods shed and a siding to the west of this, removed before 1900.

The station closed quite early, in 1949. The population here was low.

The signal box was at the south end of the southbound platform. It closed closing in 1954.

Thistle Viaduct crosses over the River Esk to north.

Poignantly the canopy of the main station building has the motto 'SPEED AND COMFORT BY RAIL' painted along its edge. This building still survives, in use as a house, restored and with the canopied area now boxed in. The present lettering style and logo are new, this has been repainted several times.

To the south two joined railway cottages survive on the former northbound platform.

The platforms survive intact.

The station was in Cumbria, England.

Local

The Scots' Dike itself is a three and a half mile long embankment built to mark the Scotland/England border in 1552 to divide the 'Debatable Lands'. Forests were planted along the dyke, the temporary railways used to extract the timber damaging the landmark.

The dyke can be found about a mile north of the former station. Its east end is at Scotsdike (on the River Esk) and it runs west to Craw's Knowe (near Dikeside on the River Sark).

Tags

Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map




Dates

29/10/1861Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
Opened from Canal Junction [Carlisle] to Scotch Dyke. Trains run from Carlisle Citadel. Stations opened at Harker, West Linton [Cumbria], Longtown, Scotch Dyke. North British Railway trains use Carlisle Citadel for the first time.
01/07/1862Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
The line from Edinburgh Waverley to Carlisle Citadel via Galashiels and Hawick [2nd] is completed. The line opened from Hawick [2nd] to Scotch Dyke. Stations opened at Hawick [2nd], Barnes, Shankend, Riccarton, Steele Road, Newcastleton, Kershope Foot, Penton, Riddings Junction (and Canonbie on the incomplete Langholm branch).

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Border Country Branch Line Album

Border Railway Portfolio

Borders Railway Rambles

Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)

Last Years of the Waverley Route

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail

The North British Railway a History

The Waverley Route Through Time

The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'

Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway

Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route