Shankend

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Shankend (1862-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station at the south end of the Shankend Viaduct. It had three looped sidings on its east side, approached from the south end of the station where the signal box was located. The two storey station building, with single storey ticket office at the north end, was on the southbound platform.

The original 1888 signal box had been at the end of the southbound platform. It was replaced with another further south, on the east side of the line in 1916.

Shankend itself is a farm just to the north. The area is remote farmed moorland. Despite the rural location the station survived until closure of the line.

The station house and, remarkably, signal box both remain standing. The only other intact signal box on the former Waverley Route is at Harker. After years of use of the signal box as a stable it has been renovated to become accommodation. The platforms, quite short, also remain. The trackbed is used as an estate road.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map