Heriot

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Heriot (1848-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station with staggered platforms, one on either side of a level crossing.

There was a goods yard at the north end, east side of the line and approached from the north.

The signal box was on the north side of the level crossing and east side of the line, opposite the south end of the northbound platform.

The line, station and signal box closed in 1969, the line surviving briefly for goods.

The station house survived as a house. The platform and trackbed were cleared on the north side of the level crossing. Removal of the ballast took years.

The house, goods loading bank and the platform south of the former level crossing were all removed during re-opening. The level crossing was not re-opened, being replaced by a road bridge over the line to the south.

The nearest stations were Tynehead (north) and Fountainhall (south).

Hangingshaw Quarry, to the south, was railway served.


Tags

Station