This is a single platform station on the Borders Railway. The original two storey station building remains standing. The platform occupies roughly the location of the original northbound platform. A similar building remains at Fountainhall.
Until reconstruction, the site of the station's goods yard was occupied by houses - this is now the station carpark.
The original station consisted of two slightly staggered platforms with a goods yard on the south side of the line, a loop from the northbound line. The signal box was on the north side of the line immediately east of the Main Street overbridge. This was replaced in 1916 with another box immediately to its east.
West of the station was the loop for Arniston Gore Pit on the north side of the line and a very short siding for Gorebridge Gas Works.
Arniston Gore Pit and Arniston Emily Pit closed in 1962. The box closed in 1965 and goods yard was closed.
After closure in 1969 the station building became a pub.
The next station to the north is Newtongrange and to the south Stow. Formerly the next station south was Fushiebridge.
The line is supported and promoted by the Borders Railway Community Rail Partnership .
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Arniston Colliery Gore Pit
Gore Glen Bridge
Arniston Colliery Engine Pit
Arniston Colliery Emily Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/07/1847||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall [2nd] and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.
|01/05/1848||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Line extended from Gorebridge to Bowland.
|06/01/1969||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Marquis of Lothians Waggonway
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company|
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick [2nd] to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange [1st], Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
|28/04/1969||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)|
Gorebridge, Lady Victoria Pit, (excluded) to Hawick [2nd] officially closed to goods.
|06/09/2015||Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail)|
Newcraighall North Junction to Tweedbank opened to passengers with stations at Shawfair, Eskbank, Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Stow, Galashiels and Tweedbank. Newcraighall Junction renamed Newcraighall North Junction.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route