Niddrie South Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Niddrie South Junction (1847-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.

Opened on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Opened on the Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways).


Description

This junction is in the south east of Edinburgh. It controls the junction between the Edinburgh Waverley to Tweedbank line and the goods only line from Slateford and Haymarket. It is a busy location with freight, passenger trains and depot traffic, made difficult by the single track line north to Portobello.

The junction was formed in 1847 between the 1831 Niddrie to South Esk branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and the 1847 North British Railway connection from Portobello East Junction. (Just to the north the Portobello alignment cut the 1831 Fisherrow branch.)

Niddrie [3rd] station was located here. (It is usually shown south of the junction but could possibly be a four platform station at the junction.) A goods station, possibly just an office, survived here after the station closed. This was on the east side of the junction.

Also note the site of Niddry Junction [1st] 's 'Branch House', just to the west on the westbound railway, which survived until expansion of Newcraighall Colliery.

Catch points for breakaways on the climb to the south were on the southbound line, just south of junction. Removed by 1930s - probably when the signal box moved north closer to the Lothian Lines in/for 1913.

The original box was on east side just south of junction and just north of a siding on the east side, approached from the south. This box closed in 1914 with the opening of the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).

The second box was opened for the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) in the 'V' of the junction aligned with the Portobello fork. Just to the south was the severed 1831 Fisherrow alignment. Just to the north a part of the 1884 Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway passed underneath on its way from Niddrie West Junction to Niddrie East Junction.

A little further north the Lothian Lines connection from Brunstane Park Junction, to the north, met the railway on the east side, a single track line which doubled just as it reached the junction.

The signal box was replaced by Millerhill Power Box in 1962. This was with the opening of the Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railway) to the south.

The Brunstane Park Junction Lothian Line closed 1967.

The line north to Brunstane and Portobello Junction is now a single track, a major bottleneck for traffic since the re-opening of the line to Tweedbank which starts from Newcraighall North Junction (once the north end of the yard). This has been further compounded with the opening of the Millerhill EGIP Depot. Essentially three routes overlap here: the freight only route, the Borders Railway and the EGIP depot.


Tags

Junction





Dates

14/07/1847Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
New line from Portobello (Hawick Junction) to Niddrie South Junction opened, Niddrie to South Esk re-gauged. The Arniston Branch was replaced by a new alignment further west.
14/07/1847Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction, Cairney to Millerhill, re-alignment at Sheriffhall and Dalhousie to Gorebridge opened.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways

British Marshalling Yards (A FOULIS-OPC railway book)

Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)

Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)

Last Years of the Waverley Route

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

On the Waverley Route

Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844

Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail

The Waverley Route Through Time

The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival

The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years

Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway

Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route