Newcraighall Colliery (1898-1968)
Served by the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company.
Opened by the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company. Also known as The Klondyke.
This mine was sunk in 1897, around the time of the Klondike Gold Rush of 1896-1899.
The mine was developed on the south side of the alignment between Niddrie West Junction (to the west) and Niddrie [1st] (to the east) of the former Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. It was built at what had been the headshunt used to enter the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company, to the south, from Niddrie West Junction.
Its construction obliterated 'Branch House' the building at Niddrie [1st] which was the station at the junction between the 'main line' to South Esk and branch to Fisherrow.
There were two sets of sidings, approached from the west. Those on the north side were the loading area and to the south, and a little to the west, the exchange sidings.
The pit's tip was to the south west. Baths were on the south side of New Craighall Road
The site closed in 1968.
The entire area has been cleared with a combination of road improvements, retail outlets occupying the site and, at the site of the surface buildings, a health club and hotel.
Niddrie Junction [2nd]
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 2)
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 1)
Other railway and industry locations
Niddrie Exchange Sidings
Niddrie NCB Shed
Niddrie Landsale Yard
Niddrie Fireclay Works
Niddrie South Junction
Niddrie West Junction
Niddrie North Junction
Niddrie Pit No 9
Niddrie North Junction [Lothian Lines]
Millerhill Yard Down Departure Sidings
Niddrie Pits Nos 8,12,13
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Mining the Lothians