Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company

Introduction

This private mineral railway ran from Niddrie Yard and served Woolmet Colliery, various Niddrie mines and Newcraighall Colliery. The main portion ran in a generally southern direction from Niddrie parallel to the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. It is completely closed.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

The remains of Niddrie West yard on 9 April 1982. The connection to NCB Niddrie Landsale Yard has recently been lifted and the signalbox has been ...
Bill Roberton 09/04/1982
A scene of dereliction at Niddrie West Yard in 1974 with Arthur's Seat dominating the background. Niddrie West signal box still stands over on the ...
Bill Roberton //1974

NCB Lothians Northern No.25 (Andrew Barclay 2358 of 1954) runs uphill to the landsale sidings at Niddrie in 1971.
...
Bill Roberton //1971
Scene at Niddrie in early 1970 as NCB Lothians North no 25 (AB 2358 of 1954) heads back from the exchange sidings at Niddrie West to the shed near ...
John Furnevel 30/01/1970
'So... according to this ancient map, we should now be standing on the 'X' marking the precise spot where the treasure was buried.....
...
Bill Roberton //1974
View east from the footbridge at Niddrie West Junction towards Niddrie South Junction on a misty January morning in 1970 as NCB Lothians North no 25 ...
John Furnevel 30/01/1970

Opened by the Niddrie and Benhar Coal Company. Also known as The Klondyke. ...

More details


NCB 0-6-0ST No.25 (Andrew Barclay 2358 of 1954) has her ashpan cleaned out at Niddrie engine shed in 1971. The Landsale Yard was the surviving was ...
Bill Roberton //1971

Looking south over the former Landsale Yard at Niddrie, being prepared for redevelopment in 1997. The brick building had track entering the left arch ...
Bill Roberton //1997

Looking north over the former level crossing that once took the NCB line to Woolmet Colliery (closed in 1966) over the A6095, photographed in the ...
Bill Roberton //




A spring 1982 view north over the trackbed of the Niddrie & Benhar Coal Company (later NCB) branch from Niddrie to Woolmet Colliery, closed in 1966. ...
Bill Roberton 09/04/1982
View south towards the Woolmet Colliery bing in the 1980s, with the 3ft 6in gauge railway laid for the Training Centre on the course of the standard ...
Bill Roberton //