Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway

Introduction

Portions of this line remain open between Duddingston and Millerhill and between Leith and Portobello. The line was known as the 'Innocent Railway'. It was built to convey domestic coal into Edinburgh. The Borders Railway has re-opened a further portion between Sherriffhall and Dalhousie.

The portion of the line still in use is supported and promoted by the Borders Railway Community Rail Partnership .

Why built

This line was built to convey coal from pits and existing waggonways around Dalkeith to Edinburgh. In addition there were branches to the port of Leith and harbour at Fisherrow. The four routes met at Niddrie. The Fisherrow branch opened with the main line and was probably for importing fish and exporting excess coal production. Leith is much lower than Edinburgh and this provided a more gentle approach to the sea. Fisherrow was no doubt inadequate and exporting coal required train reversals and before long the Leith branch was conceived.

Service

Until 2002 the remaining portion of the line was used by freight only to access Millerhill Marshalling Yard. From 2002 the portion between Niddrie South Junction and a new station and turnback siding at Newcraighall carried a passenger service from Edinburgh Waverley via Portobello and Brunstane. From 2015 the new Borders Railway (reopened northern part of Waverley Route) will carry passenger trains at Newcraighall and between Sherrifhall and Dalhousie with trains continuing to Tweedbank. A new Millerhill Deviation runs between Newcraighall and Sherrifhall as the route via the Millerhill Marshalling Yard will not be reinstated.



The branch to Leith is open to freight, used until 2013 for conveying imported coal from the docks for use at Cockenzie Power Station.



Dates

26/05/1826[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Act receives Royal assent
04/07/1831[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Opened from St Leonards to Craighall.
  /10/1831[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Opened throughout.
  /10/1831[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Fisherrow branch opened.
02/06/1832[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Passenger shuttle service started from St Leonards to Dalhousie by other company along the railway.
  /  /1834[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Edinburgh and Dalkeith set up own passenger service.
  /  /1836[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Edinburgh and Dalkeith take over all other passenger services.
  /  /1838[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Leith branch opened.
  /  /1839[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Dalkeith branch opened (connected to Duke of Buccleuchs collieries at Smeaton and Cowden).
21/07/1845[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway merged with the North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Route re-gauged to standard gauge.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Fisherrow branch modified to branch off North British Railway.
  /  /1846[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Original Fisherrow branch from Niddrie connected to North British Railway to form Niddrie to Monktonhall link.
  /  /1847[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
St Leonards closed.
  /  /1847[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Musselburgh Branch] opened and Fisherrow closed to passengers.
  /07/1847[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Dalhousie renamed South Esk.
14/07/1847[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
New line from Portobello (Hawick Junction) to Niddrie South Junction opened, Niddrie to South Esk re-gauged. The [Arniston Branch] was replaced by a new alignment further west.
  /  /1849[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Original route between Portobello and Niddrie closed.
20/02/1849Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Millerhill station opened.
  /  /1856[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Doubling of South Leith branch begins.
  /  /1858[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Completion of doubling of South Leith branch.
01/06/1860[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
St Leonards re-opened to passengers.
30/09/1860[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
St Leonards re-closed to passengers.
01/02/1869[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Second station at Niddrie closed.
09/05/1872Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Hardengreen Junction to Hawthornden Junction (on the Peebles Railway) doubled.
06/11/1873Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway opened from Millerhill Junction.
02/01/1905[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
South Leith closed to passengers.
01/08/1908[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
South Esk station closed.
01/05/1933[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway] closed to passengers.
  /  /1934[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Hardengreen Junction to Smeaton lifted, except for a short stub at Hardengreen.
05/01/1942Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Dalkeith to Millerhill (Glenesk Junction) closed to passengers.
  /  /1954[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Eskbank renamed Eskbank and Dalkeith.
07/11/1955Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Millerhill station closed.
02/10/1961[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Fisherrow closed to freight.
18/06/1962Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Millerhill Marshalling Yard and Associated Lines opened.
10/09/1962[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Portobello (Niddrie North Junction) to Morningside Road to Edinburgh (Haymarket Central Junction) closed to passengers
10/09/1962[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
[Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway]
Niddrie North Junction to Haymarket Central Junction via Duddingston Junction closed to passengers. Remains open for freight and diverted passenger trains.
10/08/1964Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Dalkeith to Millerhill (Glenesk Junction) closed to freight
07/09/1964[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to passengers
22/07/1968[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
St Leonards closed to freight.
  /08/1968[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
St Leonards to Duddingston closed.
06/01/1969[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway][Marquis of Lothians Waggonway][Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)][Border Union Railway][Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company]
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
28/06/1972[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Line closed between Gorebridge (Lady Victoria Pit), (NCB Butlerfield the washery associated with the pit), and Millerhill Junction (excluded). The Carlisle Arrival Sidings at Millerhill and a short section south remained, used by trains rounding the Monktonhall Curve to access Millerhill Down Yard.
06/09/1972[Musselburgh Branch] ([North British Railway])
[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Musselburgh to Joppa (Newhailes Junction) closed to freight. (Alternative dates: 1971, 7/12/1970).
  /  /1980Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Millerhill Marshalling Yard and Associated Lines Down Yard lifted.
26/02/1982[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Baileyfield switch and crossing depot opened
  /  /1990Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Depot to south of Millerhill Junction falls out of use. Track is now buckled and useless.
  /  /1993Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Stub of Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway from Millerhill Junction to Bilston Glen Colliery closed.
  /  /1997[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Millerhill Junction to Monktonhall Colliery closed.
04/12/2001[Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway]
Tree-planting ceremony marks the site-start at Newcraighall. Construction of Newcraighall and Brunstane stations on the Edinburgh CrossRail scheme commences.
03/06/2002Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Portobello Junction to Newcraighall (north of Millerhill) re-opened to passengers with stations at; Brunstane, Newcraighall.

Route described

The main line, a double track, ran from Edinburgh St Leonards through a tunnel and along an incline and then east to Niddrie and then south through Eskbank (near Dalkeith) to South Esk.

There were branches to Leith and Fisherrow from Niddrie.

Stations were located at the termini and at Niddrie. Locations where passengers could be picked up or dropped were located elsewhere.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Edinburgh to South Esk

Double track throughout.

A notable early passenger, goods and minerals terminus in Edinburgh - Edinburgh's first station and was located to the south east of the Old Town.. The station was probably not called St Leonards in the early days, it would be the Edinburgh terminus of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. At first trains were horse drawn. The primary purpose was to bring coal to Edinburgh from pits to the south ...

More details
Close up of the detailed warning notice above the entrance to the goods shed at St Leonards in 1977 [see image 52405]. ...
Bill Roberton //1977
The Engine Shed, a refurbished former goods shed standing in the yard of the old Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway terminus at St Leonards, ...
Andrew Wilson 07/03/2012
The St Leonard's Street entrance to the former goods depot in March 2012. [See image 17615] for the view looking back from the other side of the yard. ...
Andrew Wilson 07/03/2012
This fragment of the former goods station at St Leonards in Edinburgh reminds me of a fossil dinosaur bone exposed by tectonic shifts.Photographed 30 ...
David Panton 30/10/2010

This level crossing was named for a farm formerly to the south of the level crossing.
...

More details
The cyclist has just left Duddingston Road West and is heading north west along the trackbed of the line to St Leonards (the so-called Innocent ...
John Furnevel 06/08/2017
Looking west towards St Leonards at Duddingston. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Former level crossing at Duddingston on The Innocent Railway in 2004. View west across Duddingston Road towards Holyrood Park and the tunnel to ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2004

Class 47 no 1606 westbound on the 'Sub' between Niddrie West and Duddingston Junctions with an unidentified train of oil tanks on 4 February 1970.
...
Bill Jamieson 04/02/1970
Class 47 no 1737 on the 09.55 Bathgate - Kings Norton heading west along the Sub near Duddingston Junction on 4 February 1970.
...
Bill Jamieson 04/02/1970
St Margarets V3 2-6-2T no 67668 at Duddingston Junction on 25 August 1962. The locomotive had brought the Stephenson Locomotive Society (Scottish ...
R Sillitto/A Renfrew Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 25/08/1962
J35 0-6-0 no 64510 at Duddingston Junction on 25 August 1962. The locomotive took charge of the SLS Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railtour for the ...
R Sillitto/A Renfrew Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 25/08/1962

This is a location identified as a possible location for the E&DR's Niddrie station. It is unlikely as this was not at the point of divergence of the South Esk and Fisherrow lines, not shown on the NBR prospectus map and west of the point of divergence of the Leith line, opened one year after the station (thus not served by the Leith branch which would have been wasteful).
...

More details

The remains of Niddrie West yard on 9 April 1982. The connection to NCB Niddrie Landsale Yard has recently been lifted and the signalbox has been ...
Bill Roberton 09/04/1982
A scene of dereliction at Niddrie West Yard in 1974 with Arthur's Seat dominating the background. Niddrie West signal box still stands over on the ...
Bill Roberton //1974

This location has been identified as a possible location of the E&DR's Niddrie station. It was immediately east of the point of divergence between the lines to St Leonards and Leith.
...

More details

This junction is between the single track line from Portobello East Junction and the double track from Niddrie South Junction. The line runs west to Craiglockhart Junction round the Edinburgh Suburban line (the former Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway).
...

More details
The 1031 Millerhill SS - Keith Loop, photographed running between Niddrie South and Niddrie West Junctions on 8 October 2017. Freightliner 66597 is at ...
John Furnevel 08/10/2017
New sign recently attached to the footbridge at Niddrie West Junction, photographed on 27 September 2018. Interesting choice of Wanton Walls Junction ...
John Furnevel 27/09/2018
Survivor... standing alongside the footbridge at Niddrie West Junction - September 2017. ...
John Furnevel 03/09/2017
GBRf 66717 takes the right fork at Niddrie West Junction with a freight on 15 October 2017. The train is the 6K25 0730 Cambuslang - Millerhill SS ...
John Furnevel 15/10/2017

The 0911 Edinburgh - Tweedbank approaching Niddrie South Junction shortly after leaving Brunstane on 10 June 2018. On the left is the line to Niddrie ...
John Furnevel 10/06/2018
A Tweedbank service clears the junction on the approach to Newcraighall on 5 June. The feathers are for the connection with the Sub at Niddrie West, ...
David Panton 05/06/2018
Immediately after leaving Newcraighall Station northbound, trains pass through Niddrie South Junction before either branching left trowards Niddrie ...
John Furnevel 10/06/2018
26024 heads for Millerhill Yard near Niddrie South Junction. ...
Bill Roberton //1975

This was the third station at Niddrie immediately south of Niddrie South Junction, on approximately the same site as Newcraighall station.
...

More details
The 1864 Niddrie station was very close to the original Edinburgh & Dalkeith one - more or less at Niddrie South Junction. Even this one was goods ...
David Panton 05/06/2018

This is a single platform station located between Niddrie South Junction and Newcraighall North Junction where the Millerhill Deviation (Network Rail) leaves the alignment of the original Waverley Route.
...

More details
The 0922 Edinburgh Waverley - Tweedbank leaves the platform at Newcraighall on 1 July 2018 and runs below the road bridge carrying the A1. ScotRail ...
John Furnevel 01/07/2018
The 1305 to Edinburgh boards at Newcraighall during its last summer as a terminus. Apart from the livery of the trains, the updated Passenger ...
Colin McDonald 04/06/2015
ScotRail 170477, forming the Sunday 1011 Edinburgh - Tweedbank service, about to arrive at the platform at Newcraighall on 17 September 2017. The ...
John Furnevel 17/09/2017
66186 takes a Network Rail ballast train south and into Millerhill yard. ...
Colin McDonald 04/06/2015

GBRf 66723 Chinook runs into Millerhill yard from the north with a PW train on 24 September 2017. ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2017
Ballast arriving at Millerhill on 5 November 2017 behind 66077 about to enter the yard past Newcraighall North Junction. The train is the 0820 Perth - ...
John Furnevel 05/11/2017
A 4-car 158 set coming off the Borders route at Newcraighall North Junction on 17 September 2017. The 0945 Tweedebank - Edinburgh is about to pass ...
John Furnevel 17/09/2017
SB Rail tamper DR 73803 restarts northbound out of Millerhill Yard following a signal check on 24 September 2017. The unit had been engaged in ...
John Furnevel 24/09/2017


Probably spelt Cairnie as per the nearby farm and cottages. This station was probably located either at Cairnie Cottage or near Adamsrow, a location now lost after the development of the Millerhill Marshalling Yard.
...

More details

The exact location of this short lived station is uncertain, being more a stopping place than a station. It was located on the original alignment of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway probably to the north of the A6106 overbridge.
...

More details
View west from the A6106 at Melville Gate on 22 February 2014 showing the original tunnel used by the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. The replacement ...
John Furnevel 22/02/2014
Some eejit photographing the tunnel on the original Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway formation at Melville Gate, just south of Sheriffhall, in February ...
John Furnevel 22/02/2014
View north towards the A6106 at Melville Gate on 22 February showing the tunnels used by the original E&D route towards Sheriffhall (left) and the ...
Ewan Crawford 22/02/2014

This viaduct is also known as the North Esk Viaduct.
...

More details
ScotRail 158734 crossing Glenesk Viaduct on 6 July 2017 with the 1024 Edinburgh - Tweedbank. ...
John Furnevel 06/07/2017
158731 crossing Glenesk Viaduct on its way north on 19 June 2015 during a Tweedbank - Newcraighall crew training turn. ...
John Furnevel 19/06/2015
Early morning view east along the valley of the North Esk towards Dalkeith on 1 February 2015 through the single arch of Glenesk Viaduct, now carrying ...
John Furnevel 01/02/2015
The sweeping single arch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway Company's Glenesk Viaduct (1830), seen from the east side illuminated by March sunshine ...
John Furnevel 12/03/2007

This was the junction between the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's line from Edinburgh to South Esk and its short branch to Dalkeith. The junction was immediately to the south of Glenesk Viaduct and north of the short lived Glenesk station. ...

More details
View across the old yard that once formed part of Glenesk Colliery, photographed looking north in July 2017. The area is here being used for the ...
John Furnevel 06/07/2017
The ScotRail 0911 Edinburgh - Tweedbank seen here passing the site of Glenesk Colliery, between Shawfair and Eskbank stations, on a showery Sunday 21 ...
John Furnevel 21/10/2018
Looking north at Glenesk Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Having cleared Glenesk Viaduct between Shawfair and Eskbank on 10 September, the 1024 Edinburgh Waverley - Tweedbank has just passed the site of the ...
John Furnevel 10/09/2015

This short lived station was north of Eskbank and Dalkeith station and south of Glenesk Junction and the Glenesk Viaduct. The Glenesk Colliery was alongside the railway to the west. ...

More details
The 0911 Edinburgh - Tweedbank passing the site of Glenesk Colliery in bright morning sunshine on 22 May 2016. The train has recently crossed Glenesk ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2016
Bringing up the rear. 67026 Diamond Jubilee passing Glenesk southbound on 19 September 2015 at the rear of the steam special heading for ...
John Furnevel 10/09/2015
The Waverley trackbed just north of the former Glenesk Colliery looking towards the viaduct on Sunday morning 22 June 2014 with concrete sleepers, ...
John Furnevel 22/06/2014
Looking north from the B6392 road bridge on 16 September 2014 towards the site of Glenesk Colliery and Junction. ...
Bill Roberton 16/09/2014

This was a two platform station.
...

More details
A fine May morning in 2016 sees 158727 run through the abandoned platforms of the original Eskbank station with a northbound train on the Borders ...
John Furnevel 22/05/2016
1354 ex-Waverley rushing past Eskbank & Dalkeith. ...
John Yellowlees 30/10/2017
The old station house at Eskbank and Dalkeith. ...
John Yellowlees 30/10/2017
A train for Tweedbank on the Borders Railway runs south through the remains of Eskbank and Dalkeith station on 22 July 2018. The impressive former ...
John Furnevel 22/07/2018

This was the junction between the re-gauged Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and the Peebles Railway. Hardengreen Yard was developed here and the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway) later also reached this location.
...

More details
ScotRail 170458 accelerates away from the Eskbank stop and past the site of Hardengreen Junction on 12 March 2017 with the 0845 Tweedbank - Edinburgh ...
John Furnevel 12/03/2017
Passing the site of Hardengreen Junction on the approach to Eskbank station on Sunday 14 August 2016 is the ScotRail 1011 Edinburgh - Tweedbank. ...
John Furnevel 14/08/2016
ScotRail 158741 passes the site of Hardengreen Junction [see image 17896] on 30 November 2017 with the 0924 Edinburgh - Tweedbank. The train is about ...
John Furnevel 30/11/2017
ScotRail 158867 with the 0911 Edinburgh Waverley - Tweedbank on the climb south between the old and new Eskbank stations on Sunday morning 20 March ...
John Furnevel 20/03/2016

This is a single platform station.
...

More details
A Sunday morning ScotRail service picks up at Eskbank on 14 May 2017 on its way to Waverley. ...
John Furnevel 14/05/2017
170 414 bringing the message of the Borders Railway to, well, the Borders Railway at Eskbank on 13/03/2017. Being a fair bit south of the old Eskbank ...
David Panton 13/03/2017
The first of the day's ScotRail 'Borders Line Steam Special' trips runs south between Eskbank station and Hardengreen Viaduct on Sunday 21 ...
John Furnevel 21/08/2016
The single platform at Eskbank is lit by a low September sun on the morning of 14 September 2017 as the 0924 Edinburgh – Tweedbank arrives to pick ...
John Furnevel 14/09/2017

The ScotRail 0924 Edinburgh - Tweedbank crossing Hardengreen Viaduct on 18 May 2017, seen looking south west towards the roundabout along the B6392. ...
John Furnevel 18/05/2017
The 0954 ex-Edinburgh Waverley crossing Hardengreen Viaduct on 6 April 2017 on its way to Tweedbank. ...
John Furnevel 06/04/2017
ScotRail 170457 runs out onto the north end of Hardengreen Viaduct shortly after leaving Eskbank station on 15 April 2018 with a service to Tweedbank. ...
John Furnevel 15/04/2018
ScotRail 170405 comes off Hardengreen Viaduct northbound through the heat haze during record high temperatures on 24 June 2018. The train is the 0845 ...
John Furnevel 24/06/2018

This was the southern terminus of the main line of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. It was specifically built to be close to the coalfield north of Gorebridge to bring coal to Edinburgh. An older spelling is 'South Eske'.
...

More details




Fisherrow Branch

Single track.

This was the first station at Niddrie, opened by the E&DR at the point of divergence of the lines to Fisherrow and South Esk one year before the opening of the South Leith branch. This location is marked on OS maps as having a 'Branch House' immediately to the south of the running lines. The station is likely to have been an interchange pausing point and probably did not serve the ...

More details



Fisherrow is a small tidal harbour on the west bank of the River Esk. The present stone harbour dates from the 17th century with modifications for waggonways. The town itself sits between the harbour and the river, on the east bank of which is Musselburgh. As the name suggest, fishing fleets were based here.
...

More details




Leith Branch

Single track. A later addition.

This location has been identified as a possible location of the E&DR's Niddrie station. It was immediately east of the point of divergence between the lines to St Leonards and Leith.
...

More details

In 1846/7 a number of short curves and connections were made by the North British Railway to the re-gauged Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. This view ...
Bill Roberton 24/11/2015
The Leith arm of the cross-shaped Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway of 1831 left the hub at Niddrie and crossed what was then open country. It never ...
David Panton 30/10/2010

This box was on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's South Leith branch. It opened with the development of the [[Lothian Lines (North British Railway).
...

More details


Meadows signal box was between the two pairs of lines which pass under
...
David Panton 12/02/2018
47283 departs from Leith South with a fertiliser van train on 28 August 1991, passing stacks of pipes which have also arrived by rail. The former ...
Bill Roberton 28/08/1991

This box was located on the west side of Seafield Road Level Crossing (then called Seafield Crossing), on the north side of the line and backing onto the beach.
...

More details

Seafield Junction was at the Marine Esplanade Level Crossing (now called Seafield Level Crossing).
...

More details
An unfortunate red light near Seafield level crossing on 9 July 2007 - at least it was for road traffic running between Marine Esplanade and Seafield ...
John Furnevel 09/07/2007
Leith South - Millerhill departmental service stopped at signals on 9 July stands alongside Seafield Road. ...
John Furnevel 09/07/2007
EWS 66205 moving away from Seafield level crossing on 7 June 2006 with a trainload of imported coal from Leith Docks. The contents are destined for ...
John Furnevel 07/06/2006
Sadly the Leith Docks branch has fallen into disuse and it's evident that
...
David Panton 25/05/2017

This goods depot was opened immediately to the east of South Leith station. It allowed the goods station at the station to become a coal depot. It opened around 1881, along with the Leith Edinburgh Dock.
...

More details
In April 1995 there was a path on the trackbed of the approach to the Bath Road crossing, which was once busy enough to warrant a footbridge. In May ...
David Panton 18/04/1995
Detail - Leith South goods depot - 1980s. ...
Jim Peebles //
Trans-shipment activity at Leith South (aka South Leith) goods depot in the 1980s. View is west from the entrance from South Leith (aka Leith South) ...
Jim Peebles //
A merged image showing the main entrance to Leith South goods depot looking north east on Bath Road in the 1980s. The building on the far left was ...
Jim Peebles //

This was a terminus of a branch from Niddrie [1st] opened on the shoreline at Leith, just east of the Water of Leith in 1835 (the land on the east bank is South Leith). Passenger coaches ran here from 1838. This largely forgotten station is important in the history of the expansion and development of Leith and its docks. Known as simply 'Leith' until 1868 when it first appeared as 'South' in ...

More details
There was a goods station at the site of South Leith passenger terminus on Constitution Street, a separate one only slightly further east at Bath ...
David Panton /04/1995
View south from the docks in September 2006 with the site of South Leith station off to the left on the far side of the wall beyond Tower Street. ...
John Furnevel 12/09/2006
An SLS Railtour stands at the original Edinburgh & Dalkeith Railway terminus at South Leith on 25 August 1962 behind Gresley V2 2-6-2T no 67668. This ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 25/08/1962
Scene at South Leith on 27 March 1967 showing D5317 with Scottish Rambler No 6. The view is west, with a siding continuing beyond the level ...
Bruce McCartney 27/03/1967




Dalkeith Branch

This was the junction between the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway's line from Edinburgh to South Esk and its short branch to Dalkeith. The junction was immediately to the south of Glenesk Viaduct and north of the short lived Glenesk station. ...

More details
View across the old yard that once formed part of Glenesk Colliery, photographed looking north in July 2017. The area is here being used for the ...
John Furnevel 06/07/2017
The ScotRail 0911 Edinburgh - Tweedbank seen here passing the site of Glenesk Colliery, between Shawfair and Eskbank stations, on a showery Sunday 21 ...
John Furnevel 21/10/2018
Looking north at Glenesk Junction. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Having cleared Glenesk Viaduct between Shawfair and Eskbank on 10 September, the 1024 Edinburgh Waverley - Tweedbank has just passed the site of the ...
John Furnevel 10/09/2015

This was a single platform terminus at the end of a short branch from Glenesk Junction. There was a goods yard to the north of the station site.
...

More details
The view east towards Dalkeith from Cemetery Road bridge in July 2013 [see image 39723]. The trackbed has been obliterated from this point, with a car ...
John Furnevel 25/07/2012
A car heading east into Dalkeith along the busy A6094 on 28 August speeds past the bridge that once carried Cemetery Road over the trackbed of the ...
John Furnevel 28/08/2013
Transformation almost complete at Dalkeith on 2 June 2014. [See image 39524] for the scene in the early sixties. ...
John Furnevel 02/06/2014
The station site at Dalkeith, now cleared and ready for construction of the new supermarket. View east towards the town centre on 5 October 2013. The ...
John Furnevel 05/10/2013