Location type


Names and dates

Fountainhall (1848-1901)
Fountainhall Junction (1901-1959)
Fountainhall (1959-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Opened on the Lauder Light Railway.


This was a two platform station with a bay platform for the Lauder Light Railway. The main station building was on the northbound platform with a water tank at the south end of the same platform.

The nearest station to the north was Heriot (north) and to the south is Stow.

Construction of the station required considerable ground work, requiring two bridges in quick succession.

The course of the Gala Water was relocated to a new channel to the east after opening of the railway to run down the east side of the station, thus alleviating the need for the two bridges over the river.

The goods yard was on the east side, reached by reversal from the south. A large goods shed was opposite the main station building. There was a long siding south of the station on the west side, approached from the north.

The original signal box was north of the station and level crossing on the east side of the line. With the opening of the Lauder line in 1901 this became a gate box and a new signal box was added at the south end of the northbound platform. There was a resignalling in 1954 and both boxes were replaced. The new box was an LNER Type 15 built on the north side of the level crossing, east side of the line.

The branch closed in 1959. The station and main line closed in 1969.

With the line reopening there is a railway here again, albeit single track. The station building, disused, remains standing.


Station Junction LNER Type 15

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


  /  /1901Lauder Light Railway
Opened, new signal box opened at Fountainhall for the new junction on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).