Galashiels [1st]

Location type


Name and dates

Galashiels [1st] (1849-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was a three platform through station, originally covered with a large timber overall roof which was later replaced with platform canopies. Carriage sidings were on the east side.

Little remains of the station today and the new Galashiels is located further north. The new line is re-aligned to the extreme north/east side of the original station.

To the south were Galashiels Goods to the south/west side of the line and Galashiels Shed to the north/east side.

Trains from Galashiels also served Peebles and Selkirk.

At the north end of the northbound platform was the signal box opened in 1937 to replace Kilnknowe Junction box, Galashiels North Signal Box, Galashiels Central Signal Box (at station under roof), Galashiels South Signal Box and Selkirk Junction Signal Box.

Kilnknowe ceased to be a junction in 1963, Selkirk in 1967. The box was reduced to a ground frame with the withdrawn of passenger services on the main line in 1969 and closed a few months later in 1969.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67