Kilnknowe Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Kilnknowe Junction (1866-1962)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Opened on the Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was the junction between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) and the Peebles loop (Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)).

The main line here was a double track. In its original layout the Peebles line diverged as a double track quickly reducing to a single track (with possibly sufficient length to hold a train on the westbound track without fouling the junction). This later became a single lead with a crossover.

A two arch bridge crosses over the site, the southern arch crossing the branch and northern the main line.

The signal box here was closed in 1937 to be replaced by a central new box at the north end of Galashiels [1st] station (although the base was retained presumably as a switch room).

The branch closed in 1962 and mainline in 1969. The trackbed remained as an overgrown walking route until 2015 when the main line re-opened as a single track.


Tags

Junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map





Dates

18/06/1866Peebles Railway
Kilnknowe Junction to Innerleithen opened. Stations at; Thornilee and Clovenfords.
05/02/1962Peebles Railway
Hawthornden Junction (excluded) to Peebles to Kilnknowe Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic, passenger, goods and mineral trains operate as far as Rosewell and Hawthornden only.