This line is closed. It ran from Eskbank (Hardengreen Junction), south of Edinburgh, to Peebles, later extended on to Galashiels. Between Eskbank and Hawthornden the line is now a cycleway, further south the line is partly ploughed-out but mostly walkable.
The line was built to carry passengers and goods from Peebles to Edinburgh.
Passenger and goods trains operated over the line.
|/ /1853||Peebles Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
Opened from Hardengreen Junction (Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway) to Peebles [1st]. Stations opened at; Hawthornden, Roslin [1st], Penicuik [1st], Leadburn, Eddleston and Peebles [1st].
Bonnyrigg [PR] opened.
Earlyvale Gate opened.
Earlyvale Gate closed.
Roslin [1st] re-named Rosslyn.
|04/07/1864||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Line opened from Leadburn (Peebles Railway) to Dolphinton [NB].
Peebles [1st] closed and becomes a goods depot and locomotive shed. Peebles [2nd] opened.
Peebles to Innerleithen opened. Stations at; Cardrona and Innerleithen.
Kilnknowe Junction to Innerleithen opened. Stations at; Thornilee and Clovenfords.
Bonnyrigg [PR] re-named Bonnyrigg Road.
|15/04/1867||Esk Valley Railway|
Opened from Esk Valley Junction (Peebles Railway) to Polton.
Bonnyrigg Road re-named Bonnyrigg [PR].
Thornilee re-named Thornielee.
|09/05/1872||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Hardengreen Junction to Hawthornden Junction (on the Peebles Railway) doubled.
Penicuik Railway opened from Hawthornden Junction (Peebles Railway) to Penicuik [2nd]. Stations opened at: Rosslyn [Penicuik Railway], Auchendinny and Penicuik [2nd].
Rosslyn [Peebles Railway] is re-named Rosslynlee. Penicuik [1st] is re-named Pomathorn.
|/ /1876||Peebles RailwayNorth British Railway|
Peebles Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|/ /1881||Peebles Hydro|
Opened near the Peebles [2nd] station of the Peebles Railway.
Hawthornden re-named Rosewell and Hawthornden.
Pomathorn re-named Pomathorn Halt.
Peebles [2nd] re-named Peebles (East).
Leadburn closed to passengers.
Peebles (East) re-named Peebles.
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt opened.
Hawthornden Junction (excluded) to Peebles to Kilnknowe Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic, passenger, goods and mineral trains operate as far as Rosewell and Hawthornden only.
Remains of line closed to passengers; Bonnyrigg station and Rosewell and Hawthornden station closed. (Alternative date 10/9/1962).
Line closed from Hawthornden Junction to Hardengreen Junction (excluded). The route was latterly used by freight trains for access to the Penicuik Railway.
The line ran south from Hardengreen Junction, south of Eskbank station, which was the junction with the former Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway. From there the route ran near Penicuik south to Eddleston and Peebles. The line was later extended east, by the Galashiels, Innerleithan and Peebles Railway (North British Railway), to Galashiels to form a loop off the Waverley Route.
These locations are along the line.
This was the junction between the re-gauged Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and the Peebles Railway. Hardengreen Yard was developed here and the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway) later also reached this location.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the Edinburgh bound platform with a smaller building on the Peebles platform.
This single platform station was the first to serve Roslin, although it was quite some distance to the south and involved crossing the valley of the River North Esk and the zig-zagging roads between the two.
This halt was opened to the north west of Rosslynlee Hospital. It had a short platform (20ft) on the east side of the line.
To the north of this level crossing were two sidings, on the west side of the line and approached from the south. The crossing keeper's cottage, with signal cabin at the north end, was on the west side of the line immediately south of the level crossing. Loanstone House and Loanstone village itself is to the north. There was no station here, Pomathorn was half a mile to the south.
This was a two platform station with a loop. The main station building, of one storey, was on the northbound platform. To its south was a railway cottage There was a level crossing at the south of the station, the loop reversing to a single track to the south. The level crossing gates remained to accommodate two lines even after singling. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the ...More details
This was both a station and junction. It opened at Leadburn, a four way road junction and the site of the Leadburn Inn.
This was a marshalling siding used in the very early days when locomotives were less powerful. A train could be set back here and combined with another southbound train going downhill to Peebles. This allowed heavy trains from the north to travel as far south as the siding as two separate trains before being combined for the downhill run to Peebles.
This was, very briefly a year after line opening, the site of a halt. It was located at a level crossing called 'Earlyvale Crossing'.
This station was in the west of Eddleston. The station building still stands. This is a largely timber building, of a NBR style, extended at both ends. It had one platform, then two and returned to one before closure.
This engine shed was provided just to the north of the original terminal station. It was originally accessed from the terminus but on extension of the line east to Galashiels was re-aligned to be approached from the north. ...More details
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lost Railways of the Scottish Borders
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)