Pomathorn Halt

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Penicuik [1st] (1855-1872)
Pomathorn (1872-1947)
Pomathorn Halt (1947-1962)

Opened on the Peebles Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station with a loop. The main station building, of one storey, was on the northbound platform. To its south was a railway cottage There was a level crossing at the south of the station, the loop reversing to a single track to the south. The level crossing gates remained to accommodate two lines even after singling. The goods yard was on the west side, approached from the north.

The signal box (1895) was at the north end of the southbound platform. A gate box was at the south end of the northbound platform, by the crossing, with a water tank on the southbound platform opposite, it was a long climb to the south after all.

A further railway cottage was built to the east of the level crossing. The loop was taken out before closure. The signal box was closed in 1932 (the gate box was retained) and the station reduced to an unstaffed halt in 1947.

Pomathorn Farm, after which the station was renamed on the opening of the Penicuik Railway, was to the south.

Pomathorn Mill was built to the west of the station and its goods yard.

The station building is now a house. The railway cottages remain.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67