This line is closed. The line carried passengers and freight between Penicuik [2nd] and Edinburgh. The line is now a cycle path. The survival of this line for freight after closure to passengers and a local service to Rosewell kept the Peebles Railway open from Eskbank [1st] to Rosewell for a few months after closure of the Peebles route, but it was not a long reprieve.
The already open Peebles Railway took a course to the south of Penicuik on high ground. Its station, Penicuik [1st], served the town poorly and was very inconvenient for the mills along the River Esk.
|/ /1865||Penicuik Railway|
Penicuik Branch rejected.
|/ /1870||Penicuik Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|/ /1870||Mauricewood Pit (Penicuik)|
Opened by Shotts Iron Works for ironstone. Gives impetus to the Penicuik Railway.
Penicuik Railway opened from Hawthornden Junction (Peebles Railway) to Penicuik [2nd]. Stations opened at: Rosslyn [Penicuik Railway], Auchendinny and Penicuik [2nd].
Rosslyn re-named Rosslyn Castle.
|/ /1876||Penicuik Railway
North British Railway|
Penicuik Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
Penicuik [2nd] to Rosewell and Hawthornden (Hawthornden Junction) closed to passengers. Rosslyn Castle and Penicuik [2nd] closed.
Hawthornden Junction to Esk Mills paper mill closed to freight.
Line closed from Hawthornden Junction to Hardengreen Junction (excluded). The route was latterly used by freight trains for access to the Penicuik Railway.
These locations are along the line.
This was a single platform station built beside Roslin Lee farm, about a mile to the south of the village of Roslin and over the River North Esk.
By the time of its closure in 2004, this was the last paper mill in Midlothian. It was located to the south of Auchendinny and Dalmore House on the north bank of one of the bends in the River North Esk. Today it is a housing estate.
This single platform station was south of Auchendinny itself, at a very much lower level by the River North Esk.
This was a single platform station on a single track line. The platform was located on the west side of the line and built in timber and ash (the southern part entirely in timber as it overhung the river). The station building was in timber. The station was reached by a very short approach running south from the east end of the Esk Bridge.
Originally cotton mills on the west bank of the River North Esk by 1820 this paper mill was owned by James Brown and Co. Before the opening of the Penicuik Railway it was apparently served by sidings at Rosslynlee (although Loanstone Sidings were closer and much more likely, probably considered under Rosslynlee^s accounts).
This paper mill was built, with the support of the Clerks of Penicuik, by Agnes Campbell, a very successful printer and bookmaker. The mill expanded to fill the flat land on the north bank of the River North Esk and had a mill lade. The mill was used for French prisoners of war during the Napoleonic Wars and returned to being a paper mill afterwards. It was not only the oldest mill but also ...More details
This was a single platform station with a passing loop built in the east of Penicuik itself, unlike Penicuik [1st] to the east.
This mill was on the west side of Bridge Street in Penicuik, on the north bank of the River North Esk. It was converted from a very long established corn mill into a paper mill by the owners of the Valleyfield Mill in 1803. It specialised in making paper for banknotes.