Hardengreen Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Hardengreen Junction (1855-1967)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.

Opened on the Peebles Railway.

Opened on the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway).


Description

This was the junction between the re-gauged Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway and the Peebles Railway. Hardengreen Yard was developed here and the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway) later also reached this location.

The location was to the south of Eskbank and Dalkeith and north of today's Eskbank station.

The first box was an early example, opening in 1868 and was on the east side of the junction between the main line an Peebles line. It was replaced. The later box was on the west side.

The Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway) to Smeaton closed as a through route in 1934.

Hardengreen South Signal Box, on the southern main line approach and on the west side, closed in 1934 when taken over by the junction box.

The northern portion of the Peebles Railway remained open to serve the Penicuik Railway until 1967.

The Waverley route closed in 1969. It re-opened as the Borders Railway in 2015.


Tags

Junction

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67





Dates

04/07/1855Peebles Railway
Opened from Hardengreen Junction (Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway) to Peebles [1st]. Stations opened at; Hawthornden, Roslin [1st], Penicuik [1st], Leadburn, Eddleston and Peebles [1st].
09/05/1872Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Hardengreen Junction to Hawthornden Junction (on the Peebles Railway) doubled.
27/03/1967Peebles Railway
Line closed from Hawthornden Junction to Hardengreen Junction (excluded). The route was latterly used by freight trains for access to the Penicuik Railway.