Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This junction has had several different layouts and refers to several slightly different locations. The original junction was for the Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) the present version is between the East Coast Main Line (former North British Railway) and line to Millerhill Marshalling Yard.
...

More details
A northbound cement train photographed shortly after turning west off the ECML at Monktonhall Junction on 19 July 2018. GBRf 66736 is on the 1961 BR ...
John Furnevel 19/07/2018
View south east towards Monktonhall Junction in 1999, taken from the trackbed of the NB Lothian Lines route to Wanton Walls Junction. The ECML is on ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
View of Monktonhall Junction from eastbound (and with somewhat dirty windows) DMU. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
View from a diverted North Berwick-bound DMU. Looking west in 1989 along, on the left, the disused trackbed of the Lothian Lines line from Monktonhall ...
Bill Roberton //1989

This was a large island platform station with a basic brick built station building. Approach to the platform was by a stair from the roadbridge to the north end. There were a considerable number of lines down either side. ...

More details
View north with the former Smeaton station at my back in 1997. ...
Ewan Crawford //1997
Looking south west along the A6094 towards Whitecraig, with the former Gifford/Dalkeith Colliery branch crossing over. 1978. ...
Bill Roberton //1978
Dereliction at Smeaton in 1981, three years after closure of Dalkeith washer and the end of traffic. ...
Bill Roberton //1981
Looking south over the site of Smeaton station. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a single platform halt opened for the Dalkeith Colliery Nos 1,2 and 3. The platform was on the north side of the line and west of the A6124 over bridge.
...

More details
A Halt was constructed at Crossgatehall, East Lothian, by the NB in 1913 to serve the nearby village of Cousland. Located in the Lothian coalfield ...
John Furnevel 09/04/2017

This was a single platform station, just west of Ormiston Junction where the line from Edinburgh divided for Macmerry (opened 1868) and Gifford (opened 1901). Ormiston itself opened to goods in 1867 and passengers in 1872.
...

More details
The site of Ormiston Station in December 2004, looking east along the remains of the overgrown platform towards the road bridge carrying the B6371. ...
John Furnevel 05/12/2004
Looking west over the site of the former Ormiston station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
St Margarets C16 4-4-2T no 67492 stands at Ormiston on 6 September 1958 with the SLS Lothian Lines Tour. The special, consisting of 4 ex-LNER ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 06/09/1958
A peaceful rural scene looking west over the former Ormiston station, East Lothian, towards Smeaton Junction from the B6371 road bridge around 1964. ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //1964

This station had a passing loop and two slightly staggered platforms. The platform on the west side had the station building at the south end and the east side platform was slightly further north. The goods yard was on the east side, approached from the north.
...

More details

This was the terminus of a branch from Monktonhall Junction. There were several mines in the Macmerry area. The station was in the west of Macmerry.
...

More details
St Margarets C16 4-4-2T no 67492 photographed at Macmerry on 6 September 1958 with the SLS Lothian Lines Tour. Passenger services on the branch ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 06/09/1958
C16 no 67492 off St Margarets shed runs round an SLS Lothian lines railtour on 6 September 1958 in the goods yard at Macmerry. Passenger services on ...
Robin Barbour Collection (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) 06/09/1958
All change! Scene in the goods yard at Macmerry on 6 September 1958, with St Margarets C16 4-4-2T no 67492 involved in run-round manoeuvres ...
K A Gray 06/09/1958