Opened on the Gifford and Garvald Light Railway.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. At the north end was a level crossing. By the crossing was the southbound platform for Gifford. The station building, a small timber building typical of the line, was by the crossing. The northbound platform was timber built.
The goods yard was on the west side, two sidings approached from the north over the level crossing with a loading bank. The yard was served by a road on its west side. The yard carried whisky casks brought from the nearby Glenkinchie Distillery.
There was a signal box from 1901 to 1956 when the line became one-engine-in-steam. The line had closed to passengers in 1933 and closed completely in 1965. Saltoun had been the end of the line since 1960.
The station building and southbound platform survived into the 2000s. The platform still stands and the former loading bank. A railway cottage still stands, in use as a house.
The the north the trackbed is a footpath. To the south it crossed Humbie Viaduct, sadly now demolished.
Glenkinchie Distillery is just over a mile away, by road, to the north west and remains in operation today.
Seton Mains Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Lempock Wells Siding
Brander^s Workshop Siding
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/05/1960||Gifford and Garvald Railway|
Humbie to Saltoun (excluded) closed to freight.
|25/05/1965||Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Saltoun to Smeaton (excluded) closed to freight. Ormiston goods depot closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)