Location type


Name and dates

Pencaitland (1901-1933)

Opened on the Gifford and Garvald Light Railway.


This was a single platform station. The timber platform was on the north side of the line and there were two sidings in the goods yard, both on the north side of the line and approached from the west. The station building was one of the small timber sheds typical of the line. To the west was a railway cottage.

By the 1960s the station building still stood but platform was removed, in common with the rest of the Gifford branch. the line closed in 1965.

The station site has been cleared but the trackbed is preserved and is now a walkway. There is a car park for the walkway. The railway cottage survived into the 1990s.

The large Pencaitland Maltings (opened in 1964, one year before line closure) now stands to the north and west of the former station.

The village of Wester Pencaitland was to the north with Easter Pencaitland a little further east.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

14/10/1901Gifford and Garvald Railway
Opened. Pencaitland, Saltoun, Humbie and Gifford opened.
03/04/1933Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)
Gifford and Garvald Railway
Edinburgh (Monktonhall Junction) (excluded) to Gifford closed to passengers. Ormiston, Pencaitland, Saltoun, Humbie and Gifford closed.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)