Opened on the Gifford and Garvald Light Railway.
This was the terminus of the line from Ormiston, built to the north west of the village. It was the make do terminus of a line originally promoted to Garvald around four miles further east.
The line approached from the south west. The station had a loop by the passenger platform. The platform was on the east (village) side with a small timber station building at its south end. The goods yard, on the west side, had two sidings. There was a railway cottage by a level crossing at the south end of the station on the east side of the line.
The station closed to passengers in 1933 and with that the signal box closed but line remained open to goods. After the collapse of the Gilchriston Viaduct at Humbie, due to flooding damage in 1948, it was decided not to rebuild the bridge and this part of the line closed. The station remained open with goods travelling by road to Haddington until 1959.
The station site is now houses. The railway cottage remains in use as a house. The two miles are walkable, beyond which the trackbed is ploughed out. Gifford has expanded out towards the station since the line's closure.
Seton Mains Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Lempock Wells Siding
St Martin^s Kirk
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/04/1933||Gifford and Garvald RailwayMacmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Gifford to Edinburgh (Monktonhall Junction) closed to passengers.
|/08/1948||Gifford and Garvald Railway|
Gifford to Humbie closed to all traffic (flood damage causes Gilchriston Viaduct collapse). Bridge not repaired and traffic carried by road from Gifford to Haddington.
|01/01/1959||Gifford and Garvald Railway|
Replacement road service, Gifford to Haddington, withdrawn.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)