This railway is closed. This was a single track line which extended the Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) from Ormiston south east to Gifford. It was initially planned to continue the line through to Garvald, but this was not carried out. The line opened in 1903 and closed to passengers in 1933. Flood damage severed the line east of Humbie in 1948. The final portion, Ormiston to Saltoun, closed in 1965.
Much of the route is now a footpath or can be walked, with some missing bridges and portions ploughed out.
Yester House, seat of William Montagu Hay the 10th Marquess of Tweeddale, is to the south east of the former Gifford station. The Marquess was the Chairman of the North British Railway.
|/ /1903||Pencaitland Pit (Pencaitland)|
Sunk 1903, by the Woodhall Coal Company, also known as Tyneholm, had a platform on the Gifford and Garvald Light Railway.
These locations are along the line.
This was a single platform station. The timber platform was on the north side of the line and there were two sidings in the goods yard, both on the north side of the line and approached from the west. The station building was one of the small timber sheds typical of the line. To the west was a railway cottage.
This was a two platform station with a passing loop on a single track line. At the north end was a level crossing. By the crossing was the southbound platform for Gifford. The station building, a small timber building typical of the line, was by the crossing. The northbound platform was timber built.
This was the main engineering feature of railway. It was a single track stone arch viaduct.
This was a single platform station with a goods yard approached from the west on the south side of line. The station building was a small timber building typical of the line.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)