This was a single platform station, just west of Ormiston Junction where the line from Edinburgh divided for Macmerry (opened 1868) and Gifford (opened 1901). Ormiston itself opened to goods in 1867 and passengers in 1872.
This platform was on the north side of the line. to the west of the platform was a loop serving a loading bank and opposite, on the south side of the line, a signal box ('Ormiston Junction' opened 1901 [*] and closed 1956). There was a goods yard to the north at the west end, served from the west. To the north of this was Ormiston Station Colliery, also served from the west. A tramway connected to the colliery to a further two collieries to the north.
[*] a signal box is shown on the south side of the station at the same location prior to 1901, on the OS map of 1892/4.
There were many mines nearby. Close to the junction the Meadow Colliery was on the Gifford line, served from the north. Winton Mine was on the Macmerry line. To the west were Limeyards Colliery (with a branch south to Tynemount Colliery and Oxenford No 2 and 3 Collieries) on the south side of the line and Bellyford Mine to the north (with a branch to Elphingstone Mine, Fleets Colliery which extended as far as Prestonpans).
The line survived the closure to passengers in 1933. The Macmerry route closed in 1960 and stub of the Gifford in 1965 closed from Saltoun to Smeaton.
Part of the platform and loading banks survive. The trackbed is a car park. A lattice signal post has been erected in the car park, in common with other locations on the former line.
Ormiston itself is about half a mile south.
Seton Mains Halt
| Ormiston Junction|
Ormiston Station Colliery
Winton Mine (Sebastapoll?)
Bog Siding Signal Box
Brander's Workshop Siding
Ormiston Market Cross
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/05/1872||Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Smeaton, Ormiston, Winton and Macmerry stations opened.
|/ /1886||Ormiston Station Colliery|
Sunk by James Clark on the north side of Ormiston station.
|/ /1891||Limeylands Colliery (Ormiston)|
Sunk by James Clark west of Ormiston station.
|01/07/1925||Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Macmerry to Ormiston (excluded) closed to passengers.
|02/05/1960||Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Macmerry to Ormiston (excluded) closed to freight. Goods depots at Macmerry and Winton closed.
|25/05/1965||Gifford and Garvald Railway
Macmerry Branch (North British Railway)|
Saltoun to Smeaton (excluded) closed to freight. Ormiston goods depot closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)