This station had a passing loop and two slightly staggered platforms. The platform on the west side had the station building at the south end and the east side platform was slightly further north. The goods yard was on the east side, approached from the north.
A road was diverted to pass under the railway just to the south west of the station, the original road remained as an approach to the station from both sides and still crossed by level crossing.
The box was at the north end, east side of the line.
After closure in 1925 the line remained open until 1960.
The station site has been cleared but not built over. The girder was removed from the road bridge but the abutments remain.
Just to the north west was Pencaitland Colliery, served by a tramway from the North British Railway. Part of this tramway became the Macmerry branch.
Seton Mains Halt
| Pencaitland Colliery|
Winton Mine (Sebastapoll?)
Brander's Workshop Siding
Ormiston Station Colliery
Penston Level Crossing
Ormiston Market Cross
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Haddington, Macmerry and Gifford Branch Lines (Oakwood Library of Railway History)