Prestonpans

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Tranent (1846-1858)
Prestonpans (1858-)

Opened on the North British Railway.

Opened on the Tranent Branch (North British Railway).

Opened on the Prestonlinks Colliery Branch (North British Railway).

Open on the North Berwick Line.
Open on the Edinburgh to Berwick.


Description

This is a two platform station on the East Coast Main Line served by local trains. The main station building is on the eastbound platform. The goods yard and shed were on the north side at the east end, the site is now the car park. The signal box (1881) was on the south side of the line at the east end of the westbound platform.

The box was replaced in 1904 (the original was mid way along the westbound platform). The replacement was with the adding of further sidings for the Tranent Goods line and the opening of Prestonlinks Colliery.

To the immediate west is the Dolphingstone Deviation (Railtrack) and to the east was a goods line to Tranent Goods and a is a goods loop formerly for the goods yard and Cockenzie Power Station to the east. Also to the east the Tranent Waggonway crossed at right angles to the open railway.

The signal box closed in 1977, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.

The line between Edinburgh Waverley, North Berwick and Dunbar is supported and promoted by the East Lothian Community Rail Partnership .

Local

The Battle of Prestonpans took place north and east of the station.

01/06/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67