Dunbar

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Dunbar (1846-)

Opened on the North British Railway.

Open on the Edinburgh to Berwick.


Description

This is currently a single platform station. The platform is on a loop line from the eastbound/southbound track. Network Rail plans to provide a second platform on the main westbound/northbound track.

A fine station building stands and there was formerly a trainshed and second platform. The North British Railway goods shed at the east end of the station will be lost with the installation of a footbridge to reach the new platform.

The goods yard was north of the line and on the east side, approached from the east. On the south side of the lines was a locomotive shed and turntable.

There were signal boxes at either end of the station's loop. The west box was a little west of the station and the east box at the entry to the goods yard. Both were on the north side of the line. The west box was replaced in 1942. The loop was lengthened at the west end and the box was further to the west, also on the north side. Both boxes were replaced with a panel box between 1976 and 1977 when the Edinburgh Signalling Centre took over.

The line between Edinburgh Waverley, North Berwick and Dunbar is supported and promoted by the East Lothian Community Rail Partnership .

08/05/2019

Tags

Station