This was a single platform terminus with the platform on the south side of a loop. The line approached from Longniddry to the west. Opposite the platform, to the north, was the goods yard with shed, covered and uncovered loading banks.
A possible route for the North British Railway was via Haddington. Instead Haddington was served with a double track branch from Longniddry. The terminus was on the western outskirts of the town, beyond the West Port and located above the surrounding streets which dropped to the east near the River Tyne.
The station was rebuilt around 1880. The new building, red brick with courses of yellow, presented two storeys to the street and a single to the platform. It was red brick with white courses and a clock facing the street. A canopy covered the platform. A curved carriage entry and exit was on Station Road, with a goods yard entry to its east and access to the original station building to west. The line extended a little further to the east, raised above street level (where a locomotive overshot in 1937). The original station building became the stationmaster^s house.
There were three looped sidings at the west end of the goods yard and a slaughterhouse siding. The signal box was on the south side of the western approach.
The branch had been double track, singled 1856 (eastbound line lifted).
Closed to passengers in 1949, the signal box closed in 1952 and the line in 1968. Unfortunately the main station building was demolished before closure.
The passenger platform still exists. The stationmaster^s house and a station building (a store) still stand. The station area is an industrial estate. The small park in front of the station remains today. A white gate closes off the former goods yard access ramp.
Seton Mains Halt
East Linton [1st]
| Laverocklaw Siding|
Harelaw Lime Kilns
Longniddry Manure Siding
St Martin^s Kirk
Chesters Hill Fort
National Museum of Flight
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|18/06/1846||North British Railway|
Opened from Edinburgh North Bridge to Berwick and the branch from Longniddry to Haddington.
|/08/1948||Gifford and Garvald Railway|
Gifford to Humbie closed to all traffic (flood damage causes Gilchriston Viaduct collapse). Bridge not repaired and traffic carried by road from Gifford to Haddington.
|01/01/1959||Gifford and Garvald Railway|
Replacement road service, Gifford to Haddington, withdrawn.
|01/04/1968||North British Railway|
Haddington to Longniddry closed to freight.
Proposes line re-openings in Edinburgh. Phase 1 - Millerhill (Park and Ride). Phase 2 - Loanhead and Gorebridge. Phase 3 - Corstorphine, Newtown St Boswells and Haddington. In November 1999 the City Council comments that this may put too much strain on the existing lines.
|/10/2011||North British Railway|
East Lothian Council and South East of Scotland Partnership study re-opening of the Haddington branch.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian