Hawthornden Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Hawthornden Junction (1872-1962)

Opened on the Peebles Railway.

Opened on the Penicuik Railway.


Description

This was the junction between the Peebles Railway of 1855 and the Penicuik Railway of 1872. The junction was to the south of a level crossing immediately south of Rosewell and Hawthornden station.

The junction also served Whitehill Colliery which had exchange sidings on the east side of the line, south of the level crossing. The colliery closed in 1961, abandoned 1962, the closure of the line south to Peebles and Galashiels at the same time perhaps not being a coincidence. The box remained open until 1964 as the Penicuik Railway remained open and this box was not only a gate box but the end of the double track section from Hardengreen Junction. In 1964 the line was singled. It closed in 1967.

On the west side of the junction was a short siding for the Gorton Colliery. This was named, along with Gorton Crossing (the level crossing here), for Gorton House which is to the north.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map


Dates

09/05/1872Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Hardengreen Junction to Hawthornden Junction (on the Peebles Railway) doubled.
02/07/1872Penicuik Railway
Penicuik Railway opened from Hawthornden Junction (Peebles Railway) to Penicuik [2nd]. Stations opened at: Rosslyn [Penicuik Railway], Auchendinny and Penicuik [2nd].
05/02/1962Peebles Railway
Hawthornden Junction (excluded) to Peebles to Kilnknowe Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic, passenger, goods and mineral trains operate as far as Rosewell and Hawthornden only.
27/03/1967Peebles Railway
Line closed from Hawthornden Junction to Hardengreen Junction (excluded). The route was latterly used by freight trains for access to the Penicuik Railway.