Location type


Name and dates

Auchendinny (1872-1951)

Opened on the Penicuik Railway.


This single platform station was south of Auchendinny itself, at a very much lower level by the River North Esk.

The platform was on the south side of the single track, the river running to the north. At the west end of the station was a goods siding serving a loading bank, on the south side of the line and approached from the west. The station building was at the east end of the platform. A railway cottage was to the south.

To the east the line passed over the Auchendinny Viaduct before entering the Auchendinny Tunnel. Beyond this was Dalmore Mill.

To the south of the railway bridge the road also crosses the River North Esk at a much higher level, giving an overview of the former railway, station and tunnel mouth.

The railway has become a footpath. The platform remains, along with the loading bank face, the viaduct, tunnel and railway cottage also remain.


Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

02/07/1872Penicuik Railway
Penicuik Railway opened from Hawthornden Junction (Peebles Railway) to Penicuik [2nd]. Stations opened at: Rosslyn [Penicuik Railway], Auchendinny and Penicuik [2nd].
05/03/1951Penicuik Railway
Auchendinny closed.


An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Old Penicuik