Dalmore Mill

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Dalmore Mill (1837-2004)

Served by the Penicuik Railway.


Description

By the time of its closure in 2004, this was the last paper mill in Midlothian. It was located to the south of Auchendinny and Dalmore House on the north bank of one of the bends in the River North Esk. Today it is a housing estate.

The mill started as a meal mill and was converted to paper. After 1872 the mill was rail served. The Esk Valley Railway passed to the north and the mill was directly to the east of Auchendinny Tunnel and Auchendinny station and west of Old Woodhouselee Tunnel. Road access to the site crossed by the Auchendinny Tunnel's east portal over a level crossing. Rail access approached from the east, running into several sidings within the works and with sidings alongside the railway at the mill's east end. It was signalled with a box on the north side of the line.

The paper mill was associated with the Sommerville family. No doubt the location was originally chosen for water power and water use as its is the site of the confluence of the River North Esk and Glencorse Burn. By 1847 steam power was in use.

The railway closed in 1967 and works continued with road access only until 2004. The site was cleared in 2007 and is now housing.


Tags

Paper mill mill

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map