Rosewell and Hawthornden (1928-1962)
Opened on the Peebles Railway.
This was a two platform station.
The main station building was on the Edinburgh bound platform with a smaller building on the Peebles platform.
There was a goods line on the east side of the station, probably to allow mineral trains from Whitehill Colliery to pass the station when passenger trains were stopped.
The station was the junction for the Penicuik Railway and the Peebles Railway and the branch divided having crossed a level crossing at the south end of the station.
There was a small goods yard on the west side of the station at the north end, approached from the north.
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Rosslyn Carpet Factory
Bilston Glen Viaduct
Polton Colliery No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Opened from Hardengreen Junction (Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway) to Peebles [1st]. Stations opened at; Hawthornden, Roslin [1st], Penicuik [1st], Leadburn, Eddleston and Peebles [1st].
Hawthornden re-named Rosewell and Hawthornden.
Hawthornden Junction (excluded) to Peebles to Kilnknowe Junction (excluded) closed to all traffic, passenger, goods and mineral trains operate as far as Rosewell and Hawthornden only.
Remains of line closed to passengers; Bonnyrigg station and Rosewell and Hawthornden station closed. (Alternative date 10/9/1962).
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lost Railways of the Scottish Borders
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)