Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Peebles Railway.
This was a two platform station in the south of Bonnyrigg, built by the Peebles Railway. Bonnyrigg also served by Bonnyrigg [EVR], to the north.
The passenger station was to the south of a level crossing with Dundas Street, a crossing keeper's house to the west of the line, south of the road. Next to this, on the northbound platform, was the station building. Opposite the crossing keeper's cottage, on the east side of the line, was the signal box looking out over the crossing and goods yard.
To the north of the level crossing was the goods yard, on the east side of the line and accessed by a reversing spur from the southbound platform. The yard had a loading bank and goods shed.
To the south of the station was a single track branch for Polton Colliery No 2, the crossover for which was in the passenger station. The branch ran to exchange sidings, on the east side of the line and accessed from the north, before continuing to the colliery itself.
To the south of this branch was Bonnyrigg Gatehouse, a level crossing, with a signal box (Polton No 2 Signal Box) on the west side of the line, north of the crossing, and a siding on the west side approached from the north.
Continuing south the was another siding for a coal mine on the west side, approached from the north, and further south again and a reversing siding on the west side approached from the north for Dalhousie Colliery. A platelayers hut remains at this location.
The station was in the double track section between Esk Valley Junction and Hawthornden. This was doubled in 1872 when the Penicuik Railway opened due to increased traffic from this line, the collieries and the Esk Valley Railway.
When first opened there was probably no loop, just the later northbound platform.
Bonnyrigg [PR] became Bonnyrigg Road in 1866 to avoid confusion with Bonnyrigg [EVR]. Bonnyrigg [EVR] became Broomieknowe in 1868.
The station closed in 1962, but the line remained open to goods. In 1964 the line was singled and 1965 the box closed, replaced with a ground frame. The railway closed in 1967, latterly used as the route to Penicuik [2nd].
The crossing keeper's cottage was still intact but out of use in the 1990s when the trackbed was made into a footpath and the platforms were tidied up.
The trackbed within the passenger station remains intact and the platform still exist. The station building has gone but the crossing keeper's cottage(or a modern building with similar footprint) remains. Unfortunately the trackbed to the north and the goods yard, have been built over. To the south the trackbed is a footpath.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Rosewell and Hawthornden
| Phillips Siding|
Polton No 2 Signal Box
Bonnyrigg Carpet Factory
Polton Colliery No 2
Polton Colliery No 1
Esk Valley Junction
St Leonards Mill
Newbattle Viaduct [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Bonnyrigg [PR] re-named Bonnyrigg Road.
Bonnyrigg Road re-named Bonnyrigg [PR].
Remains of line closed to passengers; Bonnyrigg station and Rosewell and Hawthornden station closed. (Alternative date 10/9/1962).
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lost Railways of the Scottish Borders
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)