Esk Valley Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Esk Valley Junction (1867-1964)

Opened on the Peebles Railway.

Opened on the Esk Valley Railway.


Description

This was a double track junction formed with the opening of the Esk Valley Junction which met the existing Peebles Railway. Access to both was from the north.

The line from here to Hardengreen Junction was probably single track before the branch opened, it was certainly double track afterwards. The route south to Hawthornden was doubled in 1872.

The branch closed to passengers in 1951 and the Peebles in 1962. The junction ceased with the closure of the branch in 1964 and the signal box closed. The final line closure came in 1967.

The location is now a footpath. Both routes are footpaths.


Tags

Junction