Bonnyrigg [EVR] (1867-1868)
Opened on the Esk Valley Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This small station was to the north of Bonnyrigg and south of Broomieknowe. The station had a single platform, on the north side of the single track line, and no goods yard. To the east the line ran to Esk Valley #junction past Eldin Colliery. To the west the line passed under High Street before entering Lasswade Tunnel, with the Bonnyrigg Carpet Factory to the south.
The station closed in 1951 and line in 1964.
The station was in a shallow cutting reached by a ramp down from High Street. This cutting has been infilled and the trackbed is now a footpath.
The station was renamed to avoid confusion with Bonnyrigg Road, to the south on the Peebles Railway, in 1868.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Bonnyrigg Carpet Factory
St Leonards Mill
Polton No 2 Signal Box
Esk Valley Junction
Polton Colliery No 1
Polton Colliery No 2
Eskbank Carpet Factory
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)