Loanstone Sidings (1855-1962)
Opened on the Peebles Railway.
To the north of this level crossing were two sidings, on the west side of the line and approached from the south. The crossing keeper's cottage, with signal cabin at the north end, was on the west side of the line immediately south of the level crossing. Loanstone House and Loanstone village itself is to the north. There was no station here, Pomathorn was half a mile to the south.
Houses at Loanstone were used by paper mill and agricultural workers and it is likely that the sidings were for agricultural use and also for Esk Mill, before the 1872 Penicuik Railway opened.
The cottage and cabin are now a private house. The cabin may be the last remaining of the former line. The trackbed in both directions is intact and the site of the sidings can be found.
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Other railway and industry locations
Penicuik Gas Works
Old Woodhouselee Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Branches & Byways: Southwest Scotland and the Border Counties
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lost Railways of the Scottish Borders
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)