Esk Mill

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Esk Mill (1805-1968)

Served by the Penicuik Railway.


Description

Originally cotton mills on the west bank of the River North Esk by 1820 this paper mill was owned by James Brown and Co. Before the opening of the Penicuik Railway it was apparently served by sidings at Rosslynlee (although Loanstone Sidings were closer and much more likely, probably considered under Rosslynlee's accounts).

A siding from the 1872 Penicuik Railway approached from the south. The railway was on the east side of the works. A signal box controlled access. From the junction, south of the works, the line crossed a large mill lade and the River North Esk to the east bank before reaching Eskbridge station to the north.

The railway closed in 1967 and mill in 1968.

The mill site is now a housing estate.

Local

<

07/11/2018

Tags

Cotton mill paper mill sidings

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map