This line is closed.
The line runs through farmed countryside. There were pits at Dolphinton, but these were worked out about the time of the lines opening. The line may have been supported by the North British Railway to halt an approach of the Caledonian Railway from the west. Due to the small volume of traffic the line closed in 1933. A large army camp at Macbie Hill re-opened the line between 1939 and 1960.
|/ /1862||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Act receives Royal assent.
|04/07/1864||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Line opened from Leadburn (Peebles Railway) to Dolphinton [NB].
|/ /1866||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton RailwayNorth British Railway|
Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|01/04/1933||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Leadburn to Dolphinton [NB] closed to all traffic.
|/ /1939||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Leadburn to Macbie Hill re-opened to freight.
|/12/1960||Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway|
Leadburn to Macbie Hill re-closed to freight.
These locations are along the line.
This was both a station and junction. It opened at Leadburn, a four way road junction and the site of the Leadburn Inn.
This was a single platform station at a rural location. There had been many lime quarries here, to the north and south. The tiny hamlet of Coalyburn, (two cottage rows), was to the north. The actual Coalyburn mines were further north again.
This station was about half a mile south of West Linton. The passenger station and goods yard were separated by a level crossing.
Border Country Branch Line Album
Old Carnwath: Including Braehead, Dolphinton, Dunsyre, Elsrickle, Kaimend, Libberton, Newbigging and Walston
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)