Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed.



The North British Railway took over the promotion of this railway, which had various names over the years, including the Innerleithan and Peebles Railway, as local promoters were having difficulty pushing it through. The North British were able to offer the Caledonian Railway, who blocked the proposed line, favourable rates for traffic and made a connection to the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Extension Railway in Peebles.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a single platform station with a canopy provided when the line was extended east from Peebles to Galashiels. The station replaced Peebles [1st]. ...

More details
Peebles totem now in a private collection. ...
Bruce McCartney Collection //
The former goods office and weighbridge at Peebles, currently standing at the north end of Edinburgh Road car park - still referred to as East Station ...
John Furnevel 20/04/2010
Close-up of the new attachment to the wall running alongside the old station site at Peebles on 20 April 2010. [see image 28603] ...
John Furnevel 20/04/2010
Memento of the last train, alongside the former station site on Edinburgh Road, Peebles, in May 2010. A flower bed is now in place together with a ...
Colin Harkins 17/05/2010

This gasworks was located at Eshiels near Eshiels Tunnel to the east of Peebles. A siding, approached from the Galashiels direction, ran to the works. ...

More details
The rear of the coke discharge shed at the former Peebles Gasworks at Eshiels in August 2010. After discharging their load into the shed's coke drops, ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2010
The deck of the railway bridge at Eshiels over the road leading to water treatment works has been removed although the abutments still stand in March ...
Colin Harkins /03/2006
The empty wagon run-out at the rear of the coke discharge shed at Eshiels on 8 August 2010. The photograph is taken looking east from the trackbed of ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2010
The large Scottish Borders Council depot at Eshiels on the eastern edge of Peebles, built on the site of the town's former gasworks. The large sheds, ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2010

This single platform station was at Cardrona Mains, just east of Horsburgh Viaduct and about a mile north of Cardrona House and Cardrona Viaduct. The former station is now within the modern Cardrona housing estate development.
...

More details
Cardrona Station has changed identities a few times since closure. Today it is a coffee shop. Note the small signal box. 15th October 2018.
...
John Gray 15/10/2018
This old platelayers' hut is just a few yards west of the platform at Cardrona, though the station building is obscured by that elder which is trying ...
David Panton 05/07/2016
The former Cardrona station and signal box after conversion to a village store, seen here in October 2005. ...
John Furnevel 07/10/2005
Bridge remains on the Peebles Railway just over half a mile south of Cardrona on the way to Innerleithen in June 2014. The Peebles Loop closed in 1962 ...
John Furnevel 18/06/2014

This was a two platform station with a goods yard approached from the east. The yard had a goods shed. There was a level crossing to the west of the station. The platforms were staggered and there was a tall signal box on the westbound platform.
...

More details
Innerleithen Station with surviving canopy. 15 October 2017. Seeing the expansion of every settlement in the valley and the growth in commuting, would ...
Bill Roberton 15/10/2017
A Tweed Valley Way information board at Innerleithen, this one providing a wealth of detail about the WW2 food store that is still alongside the old ...
Bill Roberton 15/10/2017
Innerleithen station viewed from the former level crossing to its west. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Former Innerleithen station on Peebles to Galashiels Line, closed 1962, looking east towards Galashiels on 23rd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018

This was a single platform station on the south bank of the Tweed, connected to Walkerburn by a road bridge. The Tweedholm Mills sat on the low ground on the north bank with the village above.
...

More details
Walkerburn station viewed from the south. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking east along the platform at Walkerburn station in February 2007 with the former station masters house to the right. (With thanks to owner Helen ...
John Furnevel 19/02/2007
View north over the remains of Walkerburn yard and goods shed in 2007. ...
John Furnevel 19/02/2007
Entrance to the 1867 station at Walkerburn in October 2005. The line arrived via a level crossing off picture to the left. Note the area between the ...
John Furnevel 07/10/2005

This was a single platform station to the south of Thornylee Farm. The platform was on the north (farm) side of the line with a goods yard to the east on the north side of the line, approached from the west.
...

More details
Thornielee station viewed from the north. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking north along the trackbed of the Peebles Railway on 7 October 2005 towards the former Thornielee station. [See image 35315] ...
John Furnevel 07/10/2005
View north west along the Tweed Valley at Thornielee towards Peebles on 7 October 2005. In the foreground is the former Thornielee station, closed in ...
John Furnevel 07/10/2005
In need of some work but featuring original cast-iron fireplace. A draughty ex lineside hut midway between Thornielee and Clovenfords. View looks ...
Ewan Crawford 17/01/2009

This location was referred to by the North British Railway as
...

More details
An unidentified B1 4-6-0 with an Edinburgh - Galashiels train eastbound on the Peebles loop in the 1950s. The location is thought to be the section ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //
This location is now unrecognisable, the bridge having been demolished many years ago and the road realigned over to the left. The location is west of ...
Bill Jamieson Collection //
View looking west at the former Angling Club Cottage. The platform and waiting shelter were to the left. [See image 31487] ...
Ewan Crawford 17/01/2009
The view east along the trackbed of the Peebles Railway towards Clovenfords in January 2009. The location is high above the River Tweed in the ...
Ewan Crawford 17/01/2009

This was a single platform station in the north of the village of Clovenfords. The platform was on the south (village) side of the single line. The single storey station building stood at the west end of the platform. There was a goods shed at the east end, in a small goods yard with two sidings served from a goods loop to the east. A signal box opened in 1899 and closed in 1928.
...

More details
Clovenfords station building viewed from the east. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Part of the modified 1866 station at Clovenfords on the Peebles loop. Closed with the line in 1962 the building is now an attractive private ...
John Furnevel 30/10/2006
The former station at Clovenfords on the Peebles - Galashiels line on a wet 30 October 2006. Closed in February 1962 the building is now a private ...
John Furnevel 30/10/2006
Undated photograph of the bridge at Caddon Mill, just west of Clovenfords, that carried the Peebles branch over the A72, the third of five crossings ...
Bill Jamieson Collection //

A Tweedbank - Edinburgh sevice runs north through the site of Kilnknowe Junction on 9 November 2017. ...
John Furnevel 09/11/2017
Approaching Galashiels from the north on 11 September 2018 is 170428, forming the 1054 Edinburgh - Tweedbank. The train is passing the point where the ...
John Furnevel 11/09/2018
An Edinburgh bound train makes its first crossing of the Gala Water on its way out of Galashiels on 10 November 2016. View is north east from ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2016
ScotRail 158726 is about to make its final crossing of the Gala Water on 9 November 2017 with the 0924 Edinburgh Waverley – Tweedbank. The train is ...
John Furnevel 09/11/2017