This single platform station was at Cardrona Mains, just east of Horsbrugh Viaduct and about a mile north of Cardrona House and Cardrona Viaduct. The former station is now within the modern Cardrona housing estate development. No allowance for line re-opening along the original route has been made.
The platform was on the south (road) side of the single line. There was a single storey building on the platform and a small signal box, typical of the line, at the east end (the only remaining box on the Peebles - Galashiels [1st] section).
There was a goods yard at the west end of the station, south of the line and approached from the west.
To the north Cardrona Ford crossed the River Tweed to reach Horsburgh.
After closure the station remained intact but increasingly ruinous until around 1997 when the Cardrona development began. The station building had remained largely intact with ticket window, ticket office and railway furniture largely in place. The signal box remained standing, with the site of the lever frame still clear. A plate layers hut remained. The site was choked with undergrowth in summer.
The station was restored as part of the development. The trackbed became a car park and the main building has seen a variety of uses, largely as shops, post offices and cafes. Nashy^s Coffee House
In 2019 housing was built over the trackbed west of the station, between station and viaduct.
Cardrona House, of the original private estate, is about a mile to the south.
Angling Club Cottage
| Horsbrugh Viaduct|
Peebles Gasworks [Eshiels]
Waverley Woolen Mills
Innerleithen Food Depot Siding
Peebles Tweed Viaduct
Robert Smail^s Printing Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|10/10/1864||Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)|
Peebles to Innerleithen opened. Stations at; Cardrona and Innerleithen.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland