Peebles [CR] (1864-1950)
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a terminus with a single platform covered by a timber trainshed with stone built end screens. The station building, also in stone, with the entrance, offices and waiting rooms bordered the north side of the trainshed. It was a fine two storey building with entrance portico. Peebles itself was to the north just over the Tweed Bridge.
A goods loop bypassed the station on its south side. The goods yard, with loading banks, crane and goods shed, was to the south and approached from the west.
The stone built two road locomotive shed Peebles Shed [CR] was to the west of the station on the north side of the line reached by reversal on a short spur with a turntable.
The signal box was at the west end of the station on the north side of the station throat. The first box here burned down in 1889 and was replaced in that year.
Going west the line passed through Neidpath Tunnel on the outskirts of Peebles.
The line continued beyond the station to the east. This was a North British Railway owned line which connected to their Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway) at Peebles. An end-on connection was made at the east end of the station.
A cattle market developed to the south west of the station.
The goods yard was expanded in 1906 and the signal box was replaced again.
As an economy the tablet instruments were moved from the box to the station offices in 1933.
Closure to passengers came in 1950. The line west from the station (excluded) to Broughton closed in 1954 after which the goods facilities were re-named Peebles West Goods. The signal box was reduced to ground frame status. Access was then from the NB station, with the former line west now a headshunt for the goods yard. Final closure was in 1959.
The buildings were cleared in the 1960s. The site has since been built over with housing.
The only reminder of the station is the bridge over the line on the connecting line and the slightly reduced embankment of that line running east to a footbridge. The bridge over the Tweed has been removed. The embankment is now a pleasant walk in parkland.
Other railway and industry locations
Peebles CR and NBR Junction
Peebles West Goods
Peebles Shed [CR]
Peebles Tweed Viaduct
March Street Mills
Peebles Shed [NB]
Peebles Engine Shed Signal Box
Cross Kirk Peebles
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|