Symington, Biggar and Broughton Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway)

Introduction

The Symington to Broughton line (1860) was extended east to Peebles by the Caledonian Railway in 1864 with a terminus on the south side of the River Tweed, close but not in the town centre which is on the north bank. The North British Railway built a link line from their station which had an end-on connection to the Caledonian Railway's line.

Why built

The line was built to carry passengers, goods and livestock from Peebles to Symington connecting to the Caledonian Railway's main line. Through trains ran to Glasgow and an alternative Peebles to Edinburgh route was provided, albeit a somewhat more roundabout route than the North British Railway's service.






Dates

  /  /1860Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Act authorises extension of the line to Peebles [CR]. This will be opened by the Caledonian Railway who purchase the smaller company in 1861 - Symington, Biggar and Broughton Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway).
01/02/1864Symington, Biggar and Broughton Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway)
Broughton [2nd] to Peebles [CR] opened. Broughton Shed closed.

Route described

This line has a largely west-east orientation and from Broughton passed through Stobo and Lyne before reaching Peebles.


Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a three platform station, the line is now closed.
...

More details

See also
Talla Railway
Station remains at Broughton on the former Caledonian Symington - Peebles route, seen here in December 2011. The surviving structure is part of the ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2011
Looking west towards the former Broughton station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
42737 at Broughton on 29 March 1964 with Scottish Rambler no 3. The Crab had brought the special from Symington to what was then the ...
John Robin 29/03/1964
Looking west towards the former Broughton station site from the A701 bridge in 2005. ...
John Furnevel 30/11/2005
4 of 12 images. more


This was not a true junction. Two single track lines ran east from Broughton [2nd] to Rachan. The northern was the line east to Peebles [2nd] and the southern was the Talla Railway, built for the construction of the Talla Reservoir. This was the location where the lines divided.
...

More details

See also
Talla Railway


This station was south of Stobo Castle. Initially it had a single platform (north side of line) with a goods yard on the north side of the line, approached from the east.
...

More details
Stobo goods shed viewed from the north. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Surviving goods shed at Stobo in 1986. ...
Bill Roberton //1986
Looking west towards the former Stobo station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Old goods shed, Stobo, December 2005. ...
John Furnevel 02/12/2005
4 of 4 images.


This was a single platform station built close to the confluence of the River Tweed and Lyne Water, crossed by the railway just east of the former station. Lyne farm is to the north west.
...

More details
The former Lyne station, now a house. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Entrance to Lyne Station grounds. ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2007
The former Lyne Station, platform side, photographed from the south in November 2004. ...
John Furnevel 10/11/2004
Lyne Station Buildings (Private House now) complete with original platform. ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2007
4 of 5 images. more


This disused single track viaduct, directly east of the former Lyne station crosses over the Lyne Water and a minor road. The viaduct, with castellated piers with deeply carved crosses, has three masonry arches and a plate girder over the minor road (to the west). The total length is 133 ft. It bears a strong resemblance to Neidpath Viaduct, further east on the same line.
...

More details
Former railway bridge over the Lyne Water on the ex-Caledonian route between Symington and Peebles. View south in September 2002, with Lyne station ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2002
Warding off evil.. Cross in viaduct to stop witches & spirits crossing the water. ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2007
The viaduct over the Lyne Water approaching Lyne station from the east in September 2002. The former station is now a private house located beyond the ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2002
Lyne Viaduct in its glory. ...
Colin Harkins 09/04/2007
4 of 9 images. more


440 ft long, 32 ft high. This is a curved disused single track eight arch single viaduct on a skew passing over the River Tweed (Manor Water). The viaduct has castellated features due to the nearby Neidpath Castle. This was to please Francis Wemyss-Charteris, 9th Earl of Wemyss 5th Earl of March, owner of the castle and estate.
...

More details
The west end of the former Neidpath Viaduct, on the Peebles to Symington line. The line closed to passengers in 1950 and this section to freight in ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
The former Neidpath Viaduct, looking west, on 23rd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
The former Neidpath Viaduct across the River Tweed, now a footpath, looking east towards Peebles on 23rd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
The former Neidpath Viaduct across the River Tweed, and a solitary fisherman, on 22nd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 22/02/2018
4 of 18 images. more


This is an disused single bore, and formerly single track, tunnel of 674 yards. This tunnel is also known as Castle Hill Tunnel and Peebles Tunnel. It is on the south bank of the River Tweed, just west of Peebles (and the former Peebles [CR] station).
...

More details
Inside Neidpath Tunnel, looking towards the eastern portal and Peebles on 23rd February 2018. Take some torches with you if you decide to walk all ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
Neidpath Tunnel, eastern portal, looking west on 23rd February 2018. See image 19410 for the same spot ten years earlier, since when some ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
West portal of Neidpath Tunnel, now an unofficial footpath, on 23rd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
Looking west towards the western portal of Neidpath Tunnel on 23rd February 2018. ...
David Bosher 23/02/2018
4 of 17 images. more


Looking north east over the remains of the turntable that stood alongside the former Caledonian station on the south bank of the Tweed in Peebles. The ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 03/02/1962
1 of 1 images.


This was a terminus with a single platform covered by a timber trainshed with stone built end screens. The station building, also in stone, with the entrance, offices and waiting rooms bordered the north side of the trainshed. It was a fine two storey building with entrance portico. The site of the station was formerly known as the 'Duke Haugh'. Peebles itself was to the north just over the Tweed ...

More details
Old gaslamp column at the top of the carriageway to the Peebles West (or Caledonian) station. In answer to your questions of course I did and no it ...
David Panton 30/10/2019
This venerable list of Peebles attractions is on the Tweed Bridge. The first-listed car park was at the CR (or 'West') station, just across the ...
David Panton 19/10/2017
Whatever forgettable buildings stood on the site of Peebles Caledonian station are themselves now history, or rather rubble. View looks west; the ...
David Panton 30/10/2019
Sign still in place under the Tweed Bridge at Peebles in 2018.
...
John Yellowlees 21/06/2018
4 of 11 images. more


This goods yard (which was enlarged in 1906) was to the south of the Peebles [CR] passenger station.
...

More details
Peebles West's goods shed seen from the steeple of the Old Parish Church in a south facing view. The Caledonian passenger station was off to the ...
Ewan Crawford Collection //
1 of 1 images.


This was an end-on junction directly to the east of Peebles [CR] station. From here a North British Railway line operated over the Peebles Tweed Viaduct to Peebles Junction at Peebles [2nd] North British Railway station.
...

More details

See also
Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)
View north along Tweed Avenue, Peebles, in the spring of 2017 towards the road junction with Walker's Haugh. The embankment and infilled bridge on the ...
John Furnevel 07/04/2017
Brick topped abutment remains standing alongside the walkway on the north side of the Tweed at Peebles in the spring of 2010. The wall now marks the ...
John Furnevel 21/05/2010
A 19th Century aperture in a (originally) 15th century structure. View west on the south bank of the Tweed in Peebles in August 2006 along the ...
John Furnevel 26/08/2006
Eejits away.... with a wave! EC heading west along the route of the NB-Caley link line at Peebles via the hole in the Tweed Bridge on Boxing ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2013
4 of 7 images. more