Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway

Introduction

This line is closed. The Caledonian Railway ran the Tinto Express by this line from Peebles to Edinburgh to compete with the North British Railway^s Peebles-shire Express which ran via Leadburn. As the route was longer the Caledonian was keen to promote the quality of the service. Certainly for travelers to Glasgow this line was much more direct than the North British route.






Dates

  /  /1847Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Act for a branch to Biggar and Broughton [1st] authorised. Not built at this time.
  /  /1858Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Act receives Royal assent for portion from Symington [2nd] to Broughton [1st].
  /  /1860Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Act authorises extension of the line to Peebles [CR]. This will be opened by the Caledonian Railway who purchase the smaller company in 1861 - Symington, Biggar and Broughton Extension Railway (Caledonian Railway).
05/11/1860Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Symington [2nd] to Broughton [1st] opened. Engine shed opened at Broughton Shed.
  /  /1861Symington, Biggar and Broughton RailwayCaledonian Railway
Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway.
  /  /1861Caledonian Railway Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Symington station enlargement authorised. (Replacement of Symington [1st] with Symington [2nd].)
  /  /1895Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Broughton [2nd] to Rachan 'Junction' effectively doubled (Rachan was the junction for the Talla Railway).
28/09/1895Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
First Sod of Talla Railway cut by Lady McDonald, wife of the Lord Provost of Edinburgh.
29/09/1897Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
The Tweedsmuir Express runs from Edinburgh Princes Street to Victoria Lodge.
08/09/1899Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
De-railment of Talla Railway locomotive at Broughton [2nd] blocks main line.
28/09/1905Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Talla Railway closed.
28/09/1905Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Talla Dam officially opened; two trains run from Edinburgh Princes Street.
  /  /1910Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Talla Railway materials offered for sale.
  /  /1912Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Talla Railway completely lifted (Dismantled by P. and W. MacLellan Ltd of Glasgow).
06/06/1950Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Peebles [CR] to Symington [2nd] closed to passengers.
07/06/1954Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Peebles West to Broughton [2nd] (excluded) closed.
01/03/1960Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Causewayend Siding closed.
04/04/1966Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway
Symington [2nd] (excluded) to Broughton [2nd] closed.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This was a three platform junction station opened in 1863 with the planned extension of the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway to Peebles [CR] in 1864. It replaced Symington [1st] around 1000 ft to the south. Between the two stations was the goods yard on the east side of the line.
...

More details

See also
Caledonian Railway
DRS 66427 on a light engine movement from Carlisle to Grangemouth on 21 March 2011. The locomotive is about to run through the site of Symington ...
John Furnevel 21/03/2011
Ex-LMS Crab 2-6-0 42737 with Scottish Rambler No 3 at Symington on 29 March 1964 having just returned from a trip along the branch to ...
K A Gray 29/03/1964
Kingmoor Black 5 45105 approaching Symington from the south on 10 July 1965. The train is a summer Saturday relief from Morecambe to Glasgow Central. ...
John Robin 10/07/1965
The 12.54 Glasgow Central - Manchester Airport TransPennine Express service runs south through Symington on 21 March 2011. Little remains nowadays to ...
John Furnevel 21/03/2011
4 of 62 images. more


Looking west towards Symington at the remains of the viaduct over the River Clyde at Coulter station on 24 August 2018. The station was across a minor ...
John McIntyre 24/08/2018
Islands in the stream. The remains of Coulter viaduct standing in the River Clyde on the approach to the former Coulter station in March 2011. View is ...
John Furnevel 21/03/2011
Remains of the viaduct that carried the SB&B across the Clyde at Coulter. Jan 2007. ...
John Furnevel /01/2007
Coulter Viaduct looking west towards Symington ...
Clive Barlow 26/05/2006
4 of 10 images. more


This was a single platform station to the immediate east of Wolfclyde Viaduct, separated from it by a level crossing. The station was briefly known as Wolfclyde.
...

More details
Entrance to the former goods yard at Coulter, South Lanarkshire in March 2011. View south east, with the River Clyde immediately behind the camera see ...
John Furnevel 21/03/2011
Coulter Station showing platform looking east towards Biggar. ...
Clive Barlow 26/05/2006
Coulter Station showing platform looking east towards Biggar. ...
Clive Barlow 26/05/2006
Looking east from the former Coulter station level crossing. ...
Ewan Crawford //
4 of 7 images. more


This siding was for the transshipment of materials - largely puddle clay - with the 3 ft gauge Culter Waterhead Railway. This narrow gauge line ran south and, like the Talla Railway, was used into the building of the dam which created Coulter Reservoir at Culter Waterhead. The siding was west of Biggar station, Coulter station was a little further to the west.
...

More details
To the west of Biggar the line crosses a fairly damp field full of drains and it is all rather overgrown. It is not obvious but there are two former ...
Ewan Crawford 06/01/2013
1 of 1 images.


This was a station to the south of the village of Biggar. Its remains comprise a very complete set of buildings from a countryside Caledonian Railway station.
...

More details
The old wooden goods shed at Biggar, with the former goods yard here now taken over by a local construction company. The old station building still ...
John Furnevel 21/03/2011
^I^m still standing ...^
...
Colin Miller 18/08/2016
The signal box nameboard now in the Gladstone Court Museum in Biggar. See image 6449 ...
Colin Miller 20/08/2013
This is the former goods shed at Biggar viewed from across the field and former station site to the south in January 2013. Wooden goods sheds don^t ...
Ewan Crawford 06/01/2013
4 of 12 images. more


This was a single platform station with a small brick building - not much was spent on the station due to the planned extension of the line shortly afterwards. Station cottages were built to the east on the main road. The station was a little to the south of Broughton itself.
...

More details