Symington [1st] (1848-1863)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station, replaced by a larger junction station to the north when the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway opened. The station was immediately north of the bridge over the A72.
The goods yard was to the north of the station on the east side, later in the 'V' of the junction formed with the opening of the line to Broughton. It survived the closure of the original passenger station. Approach was from the north and later there was a rail served abattoir.
The new station around 1000 ft north of the old station, approached by a long drive down the west side of the line. The loading bank was extended south and obliterated remains of the southbound platform.
Nothing can be seen of the original station other than the loading bank of the goods station remains on the east side of the line.
Other railway and industry locations
Wandel Mill Signal Box
Carstairs South Junction
Biggar Gas Works Museum
Cowgill Lower Reservoir
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian