Selkirk Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Selkirk Junction (1856-1966)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
Opened on the Selkirk and Galashiels Railway.


This junction faced Galashiels. Here the single track Selkirk branch, after crossing a viaduct, met the Waverley Route. The branch doubled just before the junction.

To the south, on the branch, lines served the Galashiels Gas Works on the east side (approached from both north and south) and a line ran west to the Netherdale Mill. This latter line also served the Electricity Works.

The junction came under control of Galashiels' new signal box in 1937 with the resignalling of the area.

The branch closed in 1964, the gas siding lasting until 1966. The main line closed in 1969.



Chronology Dates

05/04/1856Selkirk and Galashiels Railway
Line opened from Selkirk Junction to Selkirk.
10/09/1951Selkirk and Galashiels Railway
Selkirk to Galashiels (Selkirk Junction) closed to passengers.
03/10/1966Selkirk and Galashiels Railway
Netherdale Siding to Selkirk Junction closed to freight.


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)

Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)

Last Years of the Waverley Route

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

On the Waverley Route

Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail

The Waverley Route Through Time

The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival

The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years

Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway

Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route