Galashiels Goods

Location type


Name and dates

Galashiels Goods (1849-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


The goods yard was south of Galashiels [1st] station and on the west side of the line. Approach was from the south east.

The goods yard was served from a loop off the northbound (down) line. This ran from south of the station to Galashiels South Signal Box. Sidings were in two clusters, both accessible from the south east. There was access to the mills on the west bank of the Gala Water via lines served by turnplates - these were removed by the 1930s.

The goods yard survived until the station closed in 1969. The site is now a supermarket and health centre.

The new line has opened on an alignment to the east of the original route, skirting the modern developments.