Newcastleton

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Newcastleton (1862-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station on the west side of Newcastleton. The main station building, of a single storey, was on the southbound platform.

At the south end of the station was a level crossing with Langholm Street, with a signal box on the north side of the road, west side of the railway. Alongside this a footbridge crossed between the platforms. South of the level crossing, on the west side, was a large railway cottage and long siding which was approached from the north.

At there north end of the station, on the east side, were several looped goods sidings with a shed. This was not connected to the line at the north end of the sidings. There was a short dock siding at the north end of the northbound platform.

The level crossing is the site of the famous protest where villagers blocked the line and the Reverend Brydon Maben was saved by David Steel MPs intervention.

On closure the southbound line was lifted first. The site of the station is cleared. Much of it is vacant and the northern portion is now a caravan park. The railway cottage remains standing and in use as a private house.

To the north of the station was the Hermitage Viaduct (or Sandholm Viaduct), now demolished.

The line was briefly single track, doubled in the first year of operation.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map