This terminus was a single platform station, with a loop south of the platform. The station building was of two storeys with a small timber trainshed over the platform, a locomotive shed on the east side and goods yard with goods shed on the west side. The signal box (1894) was at the south end of the station on the east side of the line.
The signal box closed in 1927, replaced with a ground frame and block instruments in the station building. The locomotive shed closed in 1932.
The station closed to passengers in 1964 and the line closed completely in 1967.
Nothing remains of the station but there is memorial cairn to mark the site. The site is given over to housing and a car park.
Gretna Green [1st]
| Glen Tarras Distillery|
Canonbie Colliery Signal Box
Peter's Crook Siding
Longtown Branch Junction
Mains Ballast Quarry
Bush-on-Esk Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/07/1862||Border Union Railway (North British Railway)|
The line from Edinburgh Waverley to Carlisle Citadel via Galashiels and Hawick [2nd] is completed. The line opened from Hawick [2nd] to Scotch Dyke. Stations opened at Hawick [2nd], Barnes, Shankend, Riccarton, Steele Road, Newcastleton, Kershope Foot, Penton, Riddings Junction (and Canonbie on the incomplete Langholm branch). (Alternative date 01/08/1862.)
|15/06/1964||Langholm Branch (North British Railway)|
Langholm to Riddings Junction closed to passengers.
|18/09/1967||Langholm Branch (North British Railway)|
Langholm to Riddings Junction (excluded) closed to freight.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Railway to Langholm
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route