Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).
This was a two platform station with a two storey station building on the southbound platform, signal box at the north end of the same platform and a goods yard on the east side, approached from the north.
There was a coal depot siding with coal drops at the south end, approached from the south, on the east side of the line.
Penton House was to the south.
The signal box was replaced in 1918.
The station closed to goods in 1967. The station and line closed in 1969.
The station building is now a private house.
There were railway cottages about a quarter of a mile north of the station, on the east side of the line. Further north again was the rail served Watleyhirst Quarry.
Gretna Green [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Peter^s Crook Siding
Longtown Branch Junction
Bush-on-Esk Signal Box
Bush-on-Esk East Junction
Bush-on-Esk West Junction
Longtown Exchange Sidings
Sandysike Brick Works
HM Factory Gretna Ether Section
Peat Works (ex of ng railway)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Border Country Branch Line Album
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The North British Railway a History
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route