Hassendean

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Hassendean (1849-1969)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This station probably opened in 1850, the year after the line opened.

This two platform station had its main building on the southbound platform and waiting rooms on both platforms. The platforms were linked by a fine wooden footbridge. The platforms were staggered and there was a goods yard at the south end, approached by reversing from the southbound line. The signal box (1882-1965) was at the south end of the northbound platform and although it itself does not survive the platform end and nearby lamproom? survive.

The main station building was two storey, presenting the upper floor to the platform. Just to the north the bridge over the B6405 remains, this carried the north portion of the southbound platform. To the north of the bridge the timber shoring which held up the platform mound can still be seen.

The station buildings survive, the waiting room on the southbound platform being a replica. Between the platforms has been infilled. The footbridge has been restored. The loading bank no longer exists.

Accommodation is now provided at the former station. Hassendean Station


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map