Opened on the Lauder Light Railway.
This was a small station just to the east of the village of Oxton. The station was minimal, the railway being built with a light railway order.
To the south was a gate free level crossing. The station had a platform on the both sides of a passing loop. The platforms were timber, the southbound more substantial platform with a small timber station building. There was a goods siding on the east side, approached from the north.
A trolley shed was added on the west side of the station, its track at 90 degrees to the railway, replacing the former northbound platform.
The station closed to passengers in 1932. The service was replaced by buses, (the railway had replaced buses when it opened in 1901).
During the 1948 floods the line was damaged and closed until 1950. Oxton was signalled until 1957 when one-engine-in-steam took over. Complete closure was in 1958.
To the north the line climbed and turned west for Fountainhall, passing the summit at Middletoun Summit as it climbed out of Lauderdale. To the south it ran briefly uphill and then downhill to Lauder.
The station site has been cleared, except for the trolley shed, and fenced off. (The platform and building had survived into the 1980s.) The railway cottage built by the level crossing remains in use as a house. A London and North Eastern Railway 'Warning to trespassers' sign remains by the former level crossing.
The trackbed north of the station site is walkable to Fountainhall and to the south although partly built over with new housing it remains walkable to Lauder.
Other railway and industry locations
Lauder Food Depot
Crookston Mill Bridge
Dere Street Roman Road Soutra
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|