|21/01/1832||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway line extended from Dalhousie. Initially the line ran eastwards after crossing the South Esk to Bryans Pit. A branch to the south to Lingerwood Mine was later opened and the system was to eventually reach as far south as Arniston Engine. In later years a colliery line was to be established between the Newbattle pits which was independent of the Waverley Route.
|/ /1845||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
North British Railway
Waggonway purchased by the North British Railway.
|/ /1846||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
Line doubled and re-gauged to standard gauge. A replacement Newbattle viaduct was built slightly the west of the original.
|01/08/1908||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
Newtongrange station opened.
|06/01/1969||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway
Marquis of Lothians Waggonway
Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
Border Union Railway (North British Railway)
Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock|
Edinburgh (Portobello East Junction) to Hawick [2nd] to Carlisle (Port Carlisle Junction) closed to passengers. Newtongrange [1st], Gorebridge, Tynehead, Heriot, Fountainhall, Stow, Galashiels [1st], Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick [2nd], Stobs, Shankend, Riccarton Junction, Steele Road, Newcastleton stations closed.
|20/12/1971||Marquis of Lothians Waggonway|
[Newbattle Coal Stocking Site]] (known as Butlerfield) (excluded) to nearby Lady Victoria Pit closed to freight.