Dalhousie

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Dalhousie (1847-1908)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This intermediary two platform station replaced the South Esk terminus of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway when it was realigned and re-gauged as a railway.

The station served the coal field to the east, north of Gorebridge where the mining village of Newtongrange developed. In 1908 the station closed, served by a more suitably located station at Newtongrange.

Little remains, except a station house on the west side of the line. This once featured a letterbox made from metal recovered from 'The Diver' the unofficially darkly renamed locomotive - NBR Drummond 4-4-0 No 224 - recovered from the sea bed after the collapse of the Tay Bridge [1st].

11/06/2018

Tags

Station